The Struggles Of A Female Hockey Fan

The Struggles Of A Female Hockey Fan

Yes, I'm a girl. Yes, I like hockey, and no, it has nothing to do with the players.

420
The Struggles Of A Female Hockey Fan

I know it may come as a shock to some of you, but I actually like hockey. And no, don't assume I like it because of the players. There's just something calming to me about the sound of 26 pairs of skates slicing the ice, screaming fans, ridiculous traffic, flying octopi and the smell of Joe Louis Arena on game day. Nothing says home like automatically connecting to WiFi (JLAwifi, of course) or the sweet sound of 20,000 people screaming along to Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'."

As a female hockey fan, I have to deal with ridiculous claims and accusations while trying to enjoy a game I absolutely love to watch. It's 2015, people, please tell me why it's so hard for some men to comprehend the fact that I, as a female, can both enjoy AND understand a sport without drooling over the men who play it. Wow, shocking, I know.

Here are 10 struggles of a female hockey fan with the occasional GIF reaction thanks to the media's favorite press conference coach, John Tortorella.

1. The ridiculous Tumblr blogs featuring "female sports fan problems" that actually give all female fans a bad name.

The fact that this was even brought up and made into a "female fan problem" shows that some "fans" do watch solely for the men who play and that causes men to generalize all women into that category. Stop ruining it for the rest of us, thanks.

You are not their "mama" quit embarrassing yourself, please.

For the last time, STOP BRINGING UP LOOKS. If you like the sport for the content, great. If you watch it for the appearance of the players do us a favor and don't call yourself a fan. Thank you.

2. It's a common assumption that girls watch sports for the sole purpose to impress a guy.

WRONG. I know several female sports fans who don't spend countless nights sitting in front of a TV screen yelling at the top of their lungs at a referee that can't even hear them or waste away 105 days after the Stanley Cup Final till hockey season rolls around again just to catch a guy's attention. Get real. I have better things to do than invest my time in a sport just to impress some insignificant boy who probably won't matter come puck drop in October.

3. I don't need you to explain to me what's going on.
It's cute that you think I'm clueless when it comes to hockey. You should be aware that I know anything and everything about the sport, from the rules to the latest news, trades and roster lineups. I often know more about it than most guys, my friends will admit to that. I'm knowledgeable, what more could you ask for?

4. I'll respect your team, if you respect mine.
As a Red Wings fan you can never get away from those boasting Blackhawks fans, which is funny because where were those fans 10 years ago? Hey Chicago, the bandwagon called they want their fans back. But all jokes aside, don't talk badly about my team. Only I can do that.

5. Female jerseys should not exist — not the style, not in pink — they should all be the same.
If you have ever gone online to shop for any NHL jersey there is always the option of a "female" jersey which is fitted, inauthentic and cheaper. The design completely defeats the purpose of representing your team because why would someone buy a pink L.A. Kings jersey and expect to be taken seriously.

This is me every time I see a woman wearing a glittered shirt or a pink hockey jersey. Please just stop.

6. I enjoy fights, not for personal pleasure but because hockey is a contact sport.

I know I'm not the only one who thinks the NHL has gone soft. It's a rare occurrence when the referees allow a fight to concur; it's even rarer that the fight lasts longer than five seconds before officials step in to break it up. Hockey is supposed to be a contact sport and that is slowly changing. Dear Commissioner Bettman, stop being a so soft. Sincerely, fans everywhere.

7. Stop acting like I need to pass a pop quiz in order to prove my loyalty to my team.

Even though I could answer every question you as ask, I don't think I need to prove my knowledge to you. Would you ask a male fan to do that?

8. "Sorry, it's hockey season."

This is a valid excuse for canceling plans or avoiding the world for six months (the other six months are spent impatiently awaiting for hockey season to start again). Overtime is always a valid excuse to be late somewhere. If you don't accept this, how are we even friends?

9. When I'm hanging out with other girls, and I'm forced to watch the game on my phone because "The Bachelorette" is more important (to them).
What kind of friends are you?!? On the bright side, at least I get to scream at the game by myself and not have to explain every aspect of the game by giving a play-by-play to everyone who doesn't know what's going on. No offense.

10. This isn't just a phase.

Till death do us part is what comes to mind when I think of my love for the Detroit Red Wings, hockey and sports in general, actually. Being a fan is a life-long commitment.
Don't try and tell me this is just a phase, it's not. It's forever.

Now I'll leave you with these three pictures that'll give you a nice laugh and also make you want to shoot yourself, because once again, girls like this give all female fans a bad name.

Ironic because Tyler Seguin went to my high school. Thanks for making fools of yourselves on TV, ladies. But the next one is my all-time favorite. The Detroit Red Wings Twitter account single-handedly serves this fan her ass on a silver platter.

Well played, Detroit. Well played.