The Stars are Disappearing
News

The Stars are Disappearing

There are 100 thousand million (that's a number?) stars in our galaxy alone. Before long, we might not be able to see any of them.

112
The Stars are Disappearing

A recent article published in National Geographic highlighted a study in which researchers found ninety-nine percent of the population of the United States and Europe live in areas with light pollution so bad it's virtually impossible to see the Milky Way. Eighty percent of the world's landmasses are now too light-polluted to see the most vibrant parts of our galaxy.

Since the dawn of humanity, mankind has engaged in this metaphysical journey every time we've gazed up at the night sky. The ancient Egyptians saw the Milky Way as a pool of cow's milk, while in Hindu mythology the arching galactic arm was likened to a dolphin swimming through the sky (Nat Geo). Almost every past civilization has origin stories, religious beliefs, or some sort of mythology derived from the cosmos.

No matter your religion, race or politics, the astounding beauty of the night sky is something that unites us all as one. As one species. As one planet. As one creation - just as it's done since our very beginning. In such a fast-paced, stressful world where it's so easy to lose sight of the big picture, maybe we should all take a little more time to turn our eyes to the heavens and ponder a power we can't even begin to fathom.