The Pros And Cons Of Being A Lifeguard

The Pros And Cons Of Being A Lifeguard

Because nothing is better than being paid to tan.

3245
The Pros And Cons Of Being A Lifeguard
ContinentalPools

If you can swim well, and like being in the sun, more than likely you are a lifeguard in the summer. Like most things, it comes with perks and disadvantages. It is summer, so now all the lifeguards are coming out of the cracks of their houses, looking for their old jobs at the local swimming pool.

Let's discuss the pros and cons of being a lifeguard, shall we?

1. The gorgeous tan (or a terrible sunburn, sorry about that).

Pros: One of the best parts of being a lifeguard is that you are literally getting paid and getting a tan. People pay big bucks to get the tan that you get paid to get. You can also be lucky and not burn in the sun. Everyone looks better with a nice tan, so what is better than getting money while doing it?

Cons: Some people can get very sick if they are in the sun too long. I sometimes get really bad headaches and get sun sick. While it's a wonderful, the sun can be very powerful and it can become dangerous. *DRINK LOTS OF WATER*

2. No swimmers

Pros: This might sound weird since it's our job, but having no swimmers is a blessing. You can mess around with the other guards, work on you front flips, or even read a book. I mean, you probably should clean the pool in this time.

Cons: Mind-numbing boredom. Sometimes you forget your book, your phone is dead, and it's too cold to swim. Even though you are getting paid, it still sucks when you have nothing else to do.

3. The Stories

Pros: There are so many stories that come with you watching kids for five hours straight. You see some weird shit out there and most of the time your friends won't believe you. Yes, this kid did eat a worm, and yes he did puke it up, and yes I did have to clean it up.

Cons: Let's be honest, there are no cons to a good lifeguarding story.

4. First-Aid (if you're kind of a freak).

Pros: If you are like me, you don't get grossed out by blood, and a teeny, tiny, part of you that lives in hell, wishes, nay, loves it when a kid gets a cut because this is where your first-aid skills finally come in handy. I mean you did have to go through the training and you want to use it, dammit!

Cons: If you are a great lifeguard, a hard swimmer, and really love it, but can't stand the sight of blood, it's going to be a rough road. You probably should get over this ASAP because there is no hiding from it.

Let me be honest, lifeguarding is one of the best jobs out there to have in the summer. Scooping ice cream is great and all, but nothing beats getting paid to yell at people and tan.