The Power Of A Miracle

The Power Of A Miracle

"Life is a series of thousands of tiny miracles. Notice them." - Mike Greenberg

129
The Power Of A Miracle
Jesse Cwik

Do you know what a miracle is?

My definition and your definition are quite different, I'm sure. But, I can guarantee one thing: everything that we think of as a miracle is something that we first thought of as impossible. For example, you could think that passing that final you didn't study for is a miracle. Or making it home safely in a dangerous blizzard. How about a family member going through rounds and rounds of chemo and radiation and still managing to put a smile on their face? These are all miracles in the eyes of someone out there.

The thing is, I believe that miracles don’t always have to be something “out-of-this-world” spectacular. Of course there are amazing feats accomplished everyday that are beyond what someone had ever conceived of before: someone gets their dream job they applied for on a whim; the underdog teams wins a championship when everyone thought they were going to get last place; a family member or friend survives a horrific crash with minimal injuries—all miracles; all amazing; all perceived as impossible at some point in time. But, I also believe in the small miracles-- the ones that often go overlooked day in and day out.

I believe in the kid who doesn’t want to get out of bed in the morning because they are weighed down by a sinking depression. I believe in the athlete who finally accepts that their injury is worse than they are admitting. I believe in the family who sticks together, joking and laughing to help each other cope, after a devastating tragedy. I believe in a smile that has experienced hardship beyond imagination.

There is another thing I know to be true: miracles can be big or small, paramount occasions or small acts of kindness. Miracles are everywhere, we just have to look around and understand how they affect us. And you may not even realize that these small miracles and these huge accomplishments do affect us, even if only indirectly.

The impact a miracle can have is something beyond explanation. Miracles can provoke the soul, ignite love and compassion, and inspire others. I am inspired by individuals overcoming impossible and unimaginable difficulties everyday. I am inspired by my friends who support each other in times of hardship, even when it seems like the bad times will never end. I am overwhelmed by the incredible stories of the refugee Olympic athletes like Yusra Mardini who have beaten all the odds to compete in the 2016 Rio Olympics. I am directly and indirectly affected by stories of miraculous events-- accomplishments that I could have never imagined in my wildest dreams-- and so are you.

The power, the impact, the undeniable presence a miracle can have on someone is more than just hearing a story or experiencing something great. The power of a miracle is life-changing; it causes you to question what you saw, what you know, and where to go from there. The power of a miracle is parents seeings a son or a daughter wake up from a coma when the doctors are unsure if they are going to live; the power of a miracle is seeing someone beat an incurable cancer; the power of a miracle is looking up at the sky and wondering if someone above finally heard your pleads and your prayers to make something happen. Miracles are overcoming the impossible and changing lives.

The power of a miracle....well, it's more than just some words typed on a screen or a story told; it's the feeling of peace and joy when neither of those things were thought to ever be present in your life again.

So, do you believe in miracles? You should.

#KaylaStrong