The Miracle on Melrose Avenue.

The Miracle on Melrose Avenue.

November 12, 2016: Better Than Christmas.
12

There is no question when it comes to where my loyalty lies when it comes to the NCAA. I am a Hawkeye fan through and through. But, Saturday, November 12, 2016, will be a night in Hawkeye football that I will never forget.

Michigan Wolverines entered Kinnick Stadium undefeated Saturday night. Michigan had only trailed for just over 35 minutes all season until Saturday night, in which they trailed to Iowa for just a little bit. Jim Harbaugh, Michigan head coach, has never successfully won a game in Iowa City. While he was a player at Michigan, he only started as a junior. He was only put in because they had four injuries, as he had been late to the first meeting his freshman year, and his head coach never let him forget it. Shoutout to Greg, for some useful information.

1985 was the last time the number 2, 3, and 4 teams fell in the same night. That was the same year Harbaugh started in Iowa City, and they fell to Iowa. Let me tell you, Saturday night was insane in upsets. When Pitt upset Clemson, Iowa upset Michigan, and USC upset Washington. Wow. Alabama is the only Power 5 team to be left undefeated.

The fans stormed the field after TRUE FRESHMAN Keith Duncan kicked the game winning field goal. (In case you don't know, that's huge to play as a true freshman.) I stood on the turf holding back tears; I couldn't believe I was standing on that turf. The 1985 game.....Iowa won in a last second field goal.

As I stood in the student section with some of my best friends last night, my heart jumped up and down. As I almost fell multiple times, offered up my glasses multiple times to the officiating crew, and was scared to death as one of my friends mentioned dying before we stormed the field, thanks again Eric, I had never been so excited in my life. Never again do I think I could relive those moments. I sit here, Sunday afternoon, rewatching the game. Reliving all those emotions, remembering what I said, and what I was thinking, and I can only smile. Smile because I grew up in Iowa City. Smile because I was there. Smile because I got to experience that with some of my best friends. Special shout out to Anna for holding on to me so tight I was able to finally feel my hands again because they were so cold. As crazy as it sounds, I am glad that we were all able to find each other, ie Shelby and Bowman, after the game because saying "we will meet on the S in the endzone" sounds easy when you don't have the whole state of Iowa there.

Hawkeye fans, we have a reason to celebrate. Hawkeye players, you worked your ass off. Kirk Ferentz, this is why I trust in you.

The word is fight, fight, fight, for Iowa
Let every loyal Iowa sing.
Until the walls and rafters ring (Go Hawks!)

Come on and cheer, cheer cheer, for Iowa
We're gonna cheer until we hear the final gun.
The word is fight, fight, fight for Iowa
Until the game is won.

Go Hawks. I will cheer for Iowa, until the game is won.