The Importance Of Self-Care For College Students

Stressful circumstances should never keep us from safeguarding our own well-being.

1792
Portland State School of Social Work

The impending season of final exams and projects seems to bring a whirlwind of stress along with it. With the end of the semester roughly a month away, college campuses across the nation are teeming with worn-down students whose eyes are glazed over from hours of staring weakly at textbooks, papers and rapidly approaching deadlines. As our responsibilities accumulate, it’s certainly easy to allow our own health to take a backseat to feelings of restlessness. However, the potentially detrimental effects of excessive stress remind us that our personal well-being should never be overlooked.

According to the American Psychological Association, chronic stress can engender an array of health problems, including fatigue, irritability and problems with concentration. When left unmanaged, inordinate stress can also lead to more serious conditions like anxiety and depression. These daunting risks emphasize the crucial nature of self-care for college students, especially in the midst of stressful seasons.

Many college students choose to forsake self-care measures when the rigor of college life becomes staggering. I myself am famous for making excuses: “I don’t possibly have time for a well-balanced meal today! I have to study for two tests, go to three meetings, and devise a plan for world peace!” Unfortunately, forgoing self-care for the sake of productivity may in fact bear the opposite effect.

In her TED Talk “Igniting a Self-Care Revolution,” therapist Lori Moffett asserts that we are better enabled to fulfill our responsibilities when our physical and psychological needs are met. Moffett tells us that self-care practices, such as meditation, creativity, exercise and time with loved ones, activate the parasympathetic nervous system, a system that slows heart rate and balances hormones when stress levels are high. According to Moffett, this balance is crucial to those dealing with stressful environments and circumstances. Without it, we are far less likely to conquer our tasks with the same competence and vigor that we strive for.

“I just don’t have time for myself” is another common thought we have when it comes to self-care. We often succumb to the myth about self-care that it must be earned. “I’ll take a hot bath if I make an A on my test! That’s still self-care, right?” Not exactly. While it’s wonderful to reward ourselves when we’ve achieved something big, by no means do we have to earn the right to take care of ourselves.

According to Psych Central, a popular psychology blog, it is unhealthy to believe that self-care must be linked to an accomplishment or achievement. In fact, we are more likely to face our challenges effectively when we are feeling energized and nourished. This notion emphasizes the importance of incorporating self-care measures into our daily routines regardless of whether we feel like we have “earned” it or not. Your health and well-being are not rewards; they are necessities. The decision to take care of yourself no matter the circumstance should be a proactive choice, not a reactive afterthought.

Now that you’re (hopefully) convinced that self-care is a vital part of any college student’s daily regimen, you may have some questions about what measures you can take. The good news is that how you choose to take care of yourself is largely up to you. Resources from Meredith College’s Counseling Center suggest that exercise, laughter and communication can be especially helpful when dealing with stress. However, these universal suggestions might take on different forms for different individuals, and that’s perfectly okay! Your best friend’s self-care routine might include a 7 a.m. yoga class three times a week, but for you, the thought of doing anything at 7 a.m. might make you even more stressed out than you already are. Maybe a short walk each afternoon would work better for you. Fortunately, self-care isn’t about what anyone else is doing. It’s about what your mind, body and spirit are telling you they need in a given situation. The most important thing is that you are always ready to listen and respond.

Now, take a deep breath, and just for a moment, stop staring at all the stressors that are weighing you down. Instead, look inward, and know that you are always deserving of peace and compassion -- especially the kind that comes from yourself.