The Importance of Taking a Moment for Yourself

Finding an effective way to relax and stay healthy

85
Find Hot Yoga

During freshman year, I remember always being on the go. I was so excited to explore everything college had to offer. There were days when I would feel burnt out or have little time to eat lunch. I was so caught up in trying to fulfill my bucket list of first-year goals that I often times lost sight of other equally important aspects of my life such as my health.

After the first semester of my freshman year, I started assessing ways and steps I should take to ensuring my health despite the workload. One of the life changing methods I found was practicing Bikram Yoga.

Prior to delving into Bikram Yoga, I had already done yoga, but never at the intensity of Bikram Yoga. The Yoga I did was much easier and less demanding than Bikram Yoga. My mind could easily wander and still finish the pose at hand. With Bikram Yoga, I immediately saw the importance of focus and concentration.

Unlike other forms of yoga, Bikram Yoga is unique in that you practice for 90 minutes and complete 26 postures (with two breathing exercises and a two minute Shavasana or resting period in between the standing and floor series) in a 40 degree Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit) room.

During my first class, I found the heat unbearable, but made sure to stay in the room and rest in between poses. I then fell asleep right after the Shavasana, but I do not recommend you doing this...

Despite that interesting first experience, I pushed through and soon saw the importance of practicing with a calm mind. If your mind is muddled with thoughts, chances are you will be unable to complete the poses successfully and instead feel overwhelmed by the surroundings. But, if you remain focused on each pose and listen intently to what the teacher has to say (including resting right after the 90-minute practice you just did), you will really reap the benefits of Bikram Yoga, which for me included releasing toxins from my body and de-stressing.

Another amazing aspect of Bikram Yoga is that you can come to class in a room full of experienced Yogis and still feel right at home. The instructor does not complete the pose with you; as such, you must listen carefully and watch your classmates execute the poses. Though this idea may seem daunting to some, it's actually not. In my experience, none of my classmates ever judged me for being inexperienced and all instructors corrected my forms and allowed me to rest in between. The only aspect instructors are really strict about (at least in my case) is that you can not take sips of water in between the first three poses (but afterward you are free to drink water whenever you need to).

However, the best part about Bikram Yoga to me was being surrounded by experienced yet kind individuals. During my practices, I would speak to parents, office workers, millennial all of whom come from various backgrounds and yet are passionate towards health, wellness, and life. I have seen individuals as old as 60 years doing Bikram Yoga daily. That to me is a feat I hope to achieve some day!

My advice to everyone out there is to not allow yourself to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of life that you forget to take care of yourself. Remember that the best way to reach your goals is by actually staying healthy and happy. And if exercising makes you feel positive (just like it does for me), I highly encourage you to find the type of workout that suits you the best and remember to take a breather.