The Importance Of Perseverance

The Importance Of Perseverance

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again

1626
The Importance Of Perseverance

Persevere (verb): To persist in anything undertaken; maintain a purpose in spite of difficulty, obstacles, or discouragement; continue steadfastly.

As college students, we are constantly faced with hurdles. We are forced to jump them, and if we fall down in an attempt, we are forced to make the choice of whether or not to try again or give up. Sometimes, our hurdles are lower than others, and sometimes we're expected to pole volt over the issue in order to move past it. Regardless of the size, a hurdle is a hurdle, and it takes perseverance to jump over them and work your way to the top, your ultimate happiness.

Not only in college, but also throughout life in general, we will have to face situations where we again have the choice to persevere or to accept failure. Life is never, ever going to be easy. It's going to be full of bumps, ups and downs, and some straight aways. How you handle each sharp turn on the road, however, says a lot about who you are as a person and the strength you possess.

By persevering, you will boost your self confidence without a doubt. As I stated above, you will maintain a purpose in spite of the difficulties that you face. When faced with hard times, people often lose touch of who they are, what they want, or what they want to do. It takes just a little bit of effort, maybe some blood, sweat, and tears, to realize you are stronger than you think. When people persevere through their difficult times, they add a little more muscle to their being. They realize, "Hey, I can make it through this crazy ride called life, and I can do it on my own."

Perseverance gives you a sense of independence. Sure, people can help guide you through your bumpy road, but ultimately only you are the one who can overcome the potholes and repave the road. You'll come to know that you don't need someone to hold your hand your entire life. You'll come to appreciate the help when it comes along, but know that if it isn't available, it's okay, because you can do it all on your own.

Life isn't an easy ride, but it's a great ride. Throughout time you learn how to navigate the waters and get a feel for how to dress during different types of weather. Even when it's raining, pouring, storming, persevering brings the sunshine back. Scrounging up the strength to push through a harsh dust storm makes you ten times the person that you were yesterday, and if ever you fail, try, try again, because you know that you can do it.

"When you get into a tight place, and everything goes against you until it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." - Harriet Beecher Howe