The Greatest Lesson I Learned In College

Sometimes the hard choices are the best ones to make.

41
Katherine Schaffner

Alright…so maybe my title is a bit bold since I still have about two months left of my last semester of undergrad. However, my four short years of undergrad have been quite unusual. Maybe my college experience is more common than I think. Either way, my winding road college journey has taught me a great lesson.

So if you don’t know me, I decided after 3 semesters of being an engineering student to change my major. Due to numerous difficulties, I ended up transferring universities after my sophomore year of college. So you probably are wondering what my big life lesson is that I keep mentioning. Well, it is this: Do what makes you happy and what is necessary to care for yourself.

Before changing majors, I dreaded returning to campus after Thanksgiving break. There was nothing wrong with my old university. I just hated the major I was in and realized it. The biggest issue was finding a new major. I honestly hated the idea of changing my path in life. As much as I wanted to change my major, I was scared. I wanted to graduate in four years as well as do something fulfilling with my life. I did so much research and prayed about it. I felt lost. I had always had a backup plan to become a bio major, but I dreaded the career options. Despite all these things, I decided on exercise science- pre physical therapy and Walsh was where I wanted to go to physical therapy school. The craziest part is I prematurely ended up there. And I have no regrets.

Looking back at the time before all of these changes, I was fearful, stressed, and not the person I always knew myself to be. I hated school, which was not normal. I couldn’t find the motivation to do my schoolwork. I did it, but it took 10 times longer to do so. The best decision I made was to change my major and although I didn’t immediately picture myself being a physical therapist, I do now. I am so grateful that I had supportive parents, one of which actually mentioned transferring universities when difficulties surrounding changing my major arose. I know that not everyone has that support, which is why I am so grateful.

What I learned was that if you aren’t happy in life, you can change it. Do what you need to do. Go where you feel called. Don’t let anyone stop you from being the best version of yourself (Matthew Kelly, anyone?). Change majors. Transfer schools. Find a new job. Nothing should stop you from loving life and enjoying what you are doing. You have a purpose! If you don’t have anyone’s support on the matter, you have mine! Do what you need to do so that you are happy mentally, spiritually, and physically. I cannot describe the relief, hope, and joy that flooded my soul when I made these decisions.

Every day I am reminded why my change of major and transferring schools was the right choice. The people I have met at both universities and the opportunities since transferring are some of the greatest blessings in my life. My path was far from straight, but it was one heck of a journey! It is one that I look back on with complete joy and gratitude.

God is great and wants you to thrive!