Why Changing My Major Changed My Life

Why Changing My Major Changed My Life

And why it could change yours too.

16
Why Changing My Major Changed My Life
VoiceInDesert.com

Everyone has some sort of plan for the future. We all have things we love and passions we want to pursue, and we often do that by choosing a major that will lead to our future career path. We learn everything we can, do countless hours worth of research, and decide the best possible path for us to take. We plan, plan, and plan some more. So what do you do when that plan falls apart? How do you handle that moment when you realize that what you're pursuing really isn't your passion? What do you do when everything you've planned for isn't what you want anymore?

All through high school I was determined that I was going to be a Physician's Assistant. I was going to concentrate on psychiatry and help people with mental illnesses. I wanted to make a difference and make people's lives better. But after my first semester as a psychology major, I realized this just wasn't the path for me. I wanted to help people, but just not like this. My passions were different and I was different. I just didn't love my major anymore.

I became confused and very anxious about my future. I didn't feel that I was passionate about anything else and I didn't lean towards a particular career field as intensely as I did towards psychiatry. I did more and more research trying to decide what I wanted to do with my life. Around this time, I began to realize how much I missed my English classes. I did dual-credit in high school and had already finished my two required English classes for my major. When I was growing up, books were my best friends. My family moved around quite a bit in the military and I had a hard time making and keeping friends. However, books were always there. They could take me to a different world in an instant. I fell in love with foreign lands, fictional characters, and words. As I grew older, I began to appreciate it even more. The way my favorite authors could string together letters into words into sentences into paragraphs into beautiful and complex novels amazed me. I fell in love with literature. And as my classes progressed, I fell in love with writing. I discovered that I had a passion for writing, and even grammar and editing. As I spent time out of my english classes that first semester, I dearly missed it. I missed studying and discussing literature. I missed peer editing and research papers. I missed writing. It was when I realized how much I missed it that I realized that I had found my passion and it had been there all along. I went to my advisor the next day and proudly told her my decision. And I fall in love with my major more and more everyday.

Changing your major is difficult. Luckily I realized that I needed to change early on, but for some, the change means a longer time in school. It means sacrificing more time and money. But it is so, so worth it. Much like Robert Frost's poem, "The Road Not Taken," you may have found yourself in front of two paths. One is your current plan. It may be safe and devoid of passion. This path could be what someone else wants from you or you may have been traveling on it for so long that it seems impossible to change. The other is your passion. It may be much more difficult and seem crazy. This path takes courage and the desire to change and find yourself. It is much less traveled, but it "[will make] all the difference." This path will bring you happiness and allow you to pursue what you love.

Being able to wake up in the morning and be excited to attend your classes and learn more is priceless. Actually looking forward to and enjoying homework seemed impossible, but it's my life now. It almost doesn't even seem like homework when you love every second of it. Even when my grades aren't where I want them to be, I never feel the want to give up because I love my major more than I hate failure. I have the faith and desire I need to work harder to get where I want to be. I am more confident in my abilities and myself overall. I am happy to answer the question "So, what's your major?" because I don't feel any uncertainty about it. I want to grow, become better, and learn as much as I possibly can, and my major is the exact place I need to be in order to do that. Through my major I find more of myself, my purpose, and my future everyday.

I still don't know what career path I want to choose. I am considering anything from publishing, editing, journalism, teaching, and being a lawyer. However, I don't feel the anxiety I once felt about it because I know that I will further my passion and be the best I can be no matter what way I decide to go.

So if you're afraid to take that much needed jump, just consider everything that can come from it. Pursuing your passion is an incredible thing and will bring you so much happiness. It is so worth all of the sacrifice you have to make to get there. If you're looking for that final push, then here it is. Here is me telling you that when you go for your dreams, you'll never be disappointed. It'll be difficult, but it'll be so worth it.

"If you can't figure out your purpose, figure out your passion. For your passion will lead you right into your purpose." T. D. Jakes