The Five Love Languages Of Athletes

The Five Love Languages Of Athletes

A short guide on how to best love the athlete in your life

628
The Five Love Languages Of Athletes
Telluride Inside

If you aren't familiar with the concept of love languages, the idea is that people receive love in different ways. There's a language of love that everyone speaks, each person has their own, and if you figure out what someone else's is, then you've figured out the best way to show them love. According to Gary Chapman, there are five different love languages: physical touch, words of affirmation, receiving gifts, acts of service, and quality time. Two people may have the same love language, but may display it in different ways. Personally, I think that the five love languages can apply to the ways people show love to others as well. And for some people the way they show love and the way they prefer to receive love can be completely different. It's a very individualized concept, and Chapman has written many books explaining what the Five Love Languages may look like for different populations, such as single people, couples, kids, teenagers, parents, men, women, the list goes on and on. But there isn't a book about the love languages of athletes...so here's my personal take on them.

Athletes, especially those that compete in long distance events, are a very special population. However, it really doesn't take that much to keep us happy. We're kinda similar to dogs. Give us food, water, take us on walks, tell us you love us, cuddle us occasionally, let us sleep some, and we'll love you forever. In case you are the proud companion/significant other of an athlete and you have no idea how to love them, here are the five love languages of athletes.

1. Food

A well fed athlete is a happy athlete. There's a 110% chance that we're hungry...because if we're being honest, we're always hungry. Our metabolisms are super high because we are so active, hence why we are always hungry. So, what does love look like with food? It's easy. Give us food. Lots of food. Make us food. And to show that we love you too, we'll gladly make you food..it might be super healthy food, but if you catch us on the right day, we may agree to go to Cookout and down a milkshake with you, because we love you, we love that you love us, and we especially love that you want to provide us with food. If we compare this to one of Chapman's original five love languages, this one would probably be most similar to gifts. You give us food, we appreciate it, and we may give you food back.

2. Exercise

Work out with us! Or at least attempt to. That's one of the best (and easiest) ways to get to spend time with us and show us you love us, because that's what we may be doing during the majority of our free time. Go for a run with your significant other..even if he/she may be faster than you. If you're the faster one, PLEASE give your athlete a challenge, and make him/her work harder. Athletes love nothing more than competition. Well...except for the people who love us. We love you, but we also enjoy racing you and trying to beat you. This would be most similar to the original love language of quality time. The best way to spend quality time with us, is by doing something with us that we enjoy doing/do often...so work out with us! We promise that we'll spend time with you doing what you want to do as well.

3. Encouragement

One way to really show us that you love us is by showing up to our sporting events and cheering us on. Being encouraging and motivating, especially when we're struggling, means so much. We love having your support, and it means the world to us when you come out and cheer us on, despite weather conditions, despite potentially getting up earlier than you want to. And even if you can't come, just show your support, because that's all we want. We want to know that you are for us, and that you are cheering us on, even if you aren't there in person. Basically, this is just a specific, applied form of words of affirmation, with a little bit of quality time thrown in if you include spectating. You may not be running the race or on the field with us, but you're there, and you're encouraging us, and that's what matters.

4. Physical touch

Yes, we do appreciate cuddles/hugs/kisses..but you know what we also appreciate? Having people help stretch us. Because sometimes you just can't get that great of a stretch on your own. And when your muscles are super tight, it's oh so helpful to have someone to help you out. A well-stretched and non-cramping athlete is a happy athlete. Believe me, we'll return the favor when you need help too.

5. Sleep

The other four love languages have already been re-defined, and the only one left is acts of service. The greatest act of service you can do for an athlete is to let him/her sleep. Please let your athlete sleep in occasionally. Sleep is much appreciated by exhausted athletes. And let's be honest, if you're running around trying to keep up with an athlete all day, you're probably a little exhausted too. So do yourself and your athlete a favor and make sure you both rest. Because loving an athlete is tough work. But we love you for loving us. Please don't stop.