Is This The End For A-Rod?

Is This The End For A-Rod?

Alex Rodriguez has left a mark in New York but is this the last we will see of him?

11
Is This The End For A-Rod?
Slate

It all began in 2003 after the New York Yankees once again were champions of the American League after a walk-off home run in the bottom of the 11th inning in Game Seven of the ALCS. Their opponent: the Boston Red Sox.

Just days after this devastating loss, GM Theo Epstein was making things happen by grabbing a star by the name of Alex Rodriguez. It seemed like a guaranteed deal until it was vetoed by the MLBPA and the Sox had come up short again.

This loss though became more devastating than the loss in the ALCS because it was the Yankees again who swooped in and claimed victory.

Soon after the Rodriguez deal with Boston fell through, the Yankees lost the hero of Game Seven in Aaron Boone. He hit the walk-off home run to capture New York's 39th pennant but then tore his knee up in a game of pickup basketball. So suddenly the Yankees needed a third baseman and GM Brian Cashman made sure he'd make the Boston's wounds sting a little more.

Since then, Alex Rodriguez has been a Yankee. But this past week it all came to an end for the possible Hall of Famer.

As the 2016 season has proceeded, Alex has looked far from his peak and hasn't been getting the quality playing time that we have seen in the past as the Yankees still somehow are in the running in the American League Wild Card. On Sunday, August 7th, Rodriguez held a press conference in which he explained the mutual release from the Franchise and the end of baseball for him as tears crawled out of his eyes.

Earlier in the week, he and Owner Hal Steinbrenner, along with manager Joe Girardi came to a decision that it was time to hang it up; as a Yankee anyway. Although he wanted anything but this to happen after being in the game for so long, it had to happen. He wasn't producing and he, unfortunately, was becoming more of a burden to the ball club more than anything. It also made the decision even harder for Yankees executives considering the time and all the money still left on his contract.

"I love this game and I love this team" was the memorable quote that Rodriguez let out along with his tears. You can't blame him considering his whole life has been about baseball and the Yankees game him a home for the past 12 years.

Then on Friday night before his final game in pinstripes, a ceremony was held to send him off. Ironically there was a large thunderstorm hovering over Yankee Stadium that cut the ceremony short, just showing that not everything falls perfectly in place in New York contrary to popular belief.

He, just like most professional athletes had his ups and downs. Early in his career, he played with the Mariners and the Rangers where he became an All-Star and the 2003 MVP before heading to New York. In New York, he had to transition to third base from shortstop because of the Captain, Hall of Famer Derek Jeter. Through the first couple years, Jeter and himself had some issues getting along. This may have been because he was "the guy" in Texas and had trouble adjusting to Jeter being "the guy" in New York with his four World Series titles.

Rodriguez has always had an ego which gave him trouble in New York where he was often booed when he didn't perform as expected or as he presented himself. Despite this, he became a well-liked player by most Yankee fans especially in 2009 when he carried a lot of the weight in route to the franchises 27th World Series title.

The downfall of A-Rod was that that was his only title. In the 12 seasons as a Yankee, they only managed one title and also missed the playoffs three times. He also got himself into a suspension in 2014 when he was questioned for steroids and it was true. He confessed that from 2001 to 2003 he took them while with the Rangers. Despite this happening with another team, it all fell down on him while in pinstripes and the Yankees took the blow for it.

As a Yankee though, he tallied his 500th and 600th home runs, as well as his 3,000th hit. After his announcement, it left many shocked that he walked away when being so close to 700. He finished with a total of 696 career home runs, just shy of one of the monumental achievements in the MLB.

As for Joe Girardi, many have questioned him in the last week of A-Rod's playing career. After announcing the release/retirement, whatever you want to title it, on the Sunday before his final game, Rodriguez had 6 games to ride off into the sunset but Girardi still sat him in a couple of them and then refused to let him play third base in his final game.

He's taking some heat for it but he responded with saying that he's not responsible for sending Rodriguez away with a "farewell tour." As harsh as it may seem, he has a point to some degree. The Yankees at this point were still only three and a half games out of the Wild Card race so it's not like the season's over and they can afford to lose.

I'm not saying that putting Rodriguez at third would make them lose but it's not their best option. But at the same time, you have to think: Alex Rodriguez is retiring, shouldn't he get one last shot at the spot he transitioned to just to be a Yankee?

It's hard to say but Girardi was firm with his decision. Rodriguez wasn't too stoked about sitting the bench so much in his final days as an MLB player but he seemed to deal with it in a professional manner.

Although what seemed to be a stubborn Joe Girardi, he did allow Rodriguez to take the field for one out in the eighth inning of Friday's game against the Rays. The crowd roared and then proceeded to boo when Girardi removed him just one out later. Rodriguez tipped his cap and accepted the standing ovation he received as he returned to the Yankee dugout. He could even smile considering he recorded his potential final hit as he laced an RBI double into the right-center field gap earlier in the game.

It's hard to see Rodriguez go as a Yankee fan but it's also a blessing. This is a man that gave a lot to the franchise and became a large figure in New York but at the same time, if we want to see another trophy hoisted in October any time soon, this had to happen.

He's not fully gone though as he has agreed to be work with the team as a training specialist to get young guys ready to move up to the big leagues. This is a huge step because a lot of younger guys who look up to Rodriguez will take his words to heart and use his teaching to become better ball players in the future.

Some liked him and some didn't but Alex Rodriguez will always be a memorable ball player and this sudden release will surely be remembered. Plus this wasn't a retirement necessarily and based on Rodriguez' body language, it may not be the last we see of the slugger. Maybe not in a Yankee uniform, but there's always the possibility of a return in the future.

And just think of it this way: no matter how many people may have disliked him throughout the years, it's not too often that athletes get a standing ovation and proud send-off in their final game. So somewhere down in the New York hearts, he holds a special spot.