The Attitude of Gratitude

The Attitude of Gratitude

A grateful heart is a magnet for miracles

15
The Attitude of Gratitude
The Huffington Post

“The real gift of gratitude is that the more grateful you are, the more present you become.” -- Robert Holdin

Gratitude is magical, and it has power that surpasses the reaches of the human mind. It has the power to turn a pretty crappy day into a not so bad one. It has the power to lift someone's spirits and put a smile on their face.

“Gratitude is a muscle. The more you use it, the stronger it grows, and the more power you have to use on your behalf...to be grateful is to find blessings in everything. This is the most powerful attitude to adopt, for there are blessings in everything.” -- Alan Cohen

Everyone is taught how to say “please” and “thank you” at a young age. It sounds pretty basic, but people seem to forget the most basic things as they age. They become so wrapped up in themselves that they forget that other people have thoughts and feelings. A person who feels appreciated will always do more than expected. Remember that.

The Definitions of Gratitude

Gratitude is a choice.

Gratitude is a practice.

Gratitude is an attitude.

Gratitude is so much more than a simple thank you. Gratitude is finding the simple joys to focus on in life, even when it seems like everything else is going wrong.

The Benefits of Gratitude

You could live up to seven years longer.

You will have more satisfying relationships with others.

You will have improve your overall health: fewer stress-related illnesses, lower blood pressure, stronger immune system, lower depression and aggression rates, improved self-esteem.

Your income could increase up to 7 percent.

The Expressions of Gratitude

Say thank you or write a thank you note

Meditate

Verbalize your appreciation

“Today, I am thankful for…”

“My favorite part of today was…”

“I feel joy when…”

“I am grateful for…”

Make gratefulness a priority every morning

Start a gratitude journal

Choose your journaling method: bound journal, bullet journal, notebook, phone app or memo, voice recorder or computer document

Make it routine

Write it detail: write about one thing that has impacted you

Acknowledge the negative parts of the your life too: use balanced thinking, and don’t force gratitude

Uncover gratitude from the unexpected moments: challenge yourself to find gracious qualities in life’s most difficult moments

Think of what material things allow you to be who you are and do what you love, instead of just having “stuff” for the sake of having it

Practice random acts of kindness

Leave your change in the vending machine

Pay for someone else’s meal, movie ticket, coffee, etc.

Write letters to the sick, elderly or armed forces

Donate your hair after a haircut

Ride your bike or walk to work or school, if you can

Make something for someone

Recommend a movie or book to a friend

Reconnect with old friends

Be kind to yourself

If you want to be happy, be grateful.