An Open Letter To Simone Biles, From The Gymternet

You mean so much to us.

4988
Getty Images

Dear Simone,

Nearly a decade ago, you burst onto the elite gymnastics scene and changed it forever. We watched as you began your domination – as you stepped into your athleticism and began changing the way the world looked at gymnastics.

You won Nationals, then Worlds, and every other event you competed in. We watched in awe as you debuted skills that would eventually bear your name. We cheered for you as you helped Team USA win a gold medal in Rio and had goosebumps as you became the most decorated female Olympic gymnast in history.

We cried for you as you announced to the world how you were impacted by the horrible people within USA Gymnastics. Our hearts broke right there with you.

But then we saw your resiliency. We saw you speak up about the issues you were passionate about. You pushed USA Gymnastics to make a change. You became one of the most powerful voices in the world. We always knew you were an incredible gymnast, but it isn't hard to see that you are an incredible human being as well.

And so, Simone, while the remainder of your 2021 Olympics seems up in the air, there are many things that we want to say.

We are proud of you. We, as gymnastics fans, are so proud to call you one of our own. We have been able to come along on your ride – the ups and downs – and have never been prouder to have you as one of us. Your decisions this past week have gotten the world talking about mental health. You have shown the entire world that protecting your safety and your mental health is far more important than an Olympic medal. Your voice is so powerful, and you are using it the right way.

We want to thank you. Thank you, Simone Biles, for changing the sport of gymnastics forever. You pushed the boundaries, created conversation, and brought a whole new viewership to this flippy sport. Thank you for speaking out. You have not been shy when it comes to protecting gymnasts, have been outspoken about mental health, and have helped to begin changing the culture of the sport of gymnastics. You have inspired a generation of athletes. You have empowered people around the globe. Who you are as a person will change the world far more than any balance beam routine or tumbling pass. We hope you are as proud of yourself as we are.

Please don't ever wonder if America still loves you. We will love you forever. Your name will go down in history as the greatest of all time. You have accomplishments that no one can take away from you, and have used your platform for things that are much, much more important than gymnastics.

Whatever happens next on your journey, we genuinely hope it includes joy.

Love always, The Gymternet.