Why I Thank My Teachers To This Day

Why I Thank My Teachers To This Day

You taught me more than you thought.

12
Why I Thank My Teachers To This Day
Ann C. Kielbasa

What is a teacher? Teach·er (ˈtēCHər/). Noun. A person who teaches, especially in a school.

According to Google, a teacher is someone who teaches. In my opinion, a teacher is much more than that.

A teacher is someone who makes a lasting impact on your life, in and outside of the classroom. I have been lucky to have some amazing teachers in my life, some who still to this day have made an impact. After graduating from college, I have had time to reflect and really appreciate my teachers throughout the years.

To my teachers throughout elementary school

While teaching me the basic fundamentals of math, English, science, history, and religion (I went to Catholic school), you also helped shape me into an individual.

Beyond the textbook, you taught about the importance of having patience and respecting others. You encouraged me to always try my best, never give up, and to be myself. You never gave up on me, no matter how much I struggled with those pesky math problems. You were always there to help me understand it in a different light.

Most importantly, you allowed me to express my creativity. Whether it was through art or music, you embraced it and encouraged it. For that, I thank you.

Because of all your hard work, I am where I am today. Thank you!

To my teachers throughout high school

Where do I begin?

Inspiration. Empowerment. Engagement.

That is what each and everyone of you represented and continue to do so. You inspired me to strive for excellence no matter what. You empowered me to step outside my comfort zone and push my limits to be a better version of myself. You engaged me in the current events of the time and works of literature I would have never picked up on my own will.

You encouraged me and kept pushing me. You prepared me for college and the real world. You shaped me into a young adult. I am always reminded of you all no matter where I or what I'm doing.

I am forever grateful for all you did for me. Thank you!

To my dance teacher

5,6,7,8...

Every time I catch myself standing in fourth position, I am reminded of all the lesson I learned that I will continue to keep with me. Being a dancer requires a incredible amount of dedication. You have to be at every class and practice if you want to improve your skills (same applies to music).

You also showed me the importance of perseverance and discipline. You continued to push me to exceed my limits and to never just quit.

Because of you, I learned to accept myself as a dancer and that there was always someone better than me and I was/am OK with that. Because in the end, I was doing the best I could do.

You also taught me the importance of being able to work well with others. It’s not just about you, unless your doing a solo routine, it’s about everyone working together to become one.

Your group isn’t going to do well unless everyone contributes the same amount of effort as everyone else. Thinking about others instead of just yourself is huge lesson that is important to learn in life.

Most importantly, you taught me how amazing life can be when you’re truly passionate about something. Thank you!

To my music teachers

While you were teaching me how to read music, breath control exercises, and properly pronounce Italian words, you were also always there to encourage me and embrace my talent to share it with others.

You promoted the idea of self-confidence, that I should be proud of the voice I have. Even when I wasn't sure if I could hit a certain high note you always pushed me to try and in the end you knew I would be able to do it.

You encouraged me to seek out songs that I had never heard before and languages I didn't know. You wanted me to step up on that stage in front of all those people and give it my all.

You instilled in me that hard work and practice payout in the end. Thank you!

To my professors in college

You taught me about what would eventually be my career. You made lessons relevant.

Your lessons were easier to remember because you presented the opportunity to relate them to something we already knew.

With every new lesson or term you explained, you gave real-life examples. You made dates and names easier to remember with little acronyms or mnemonic devices. You made learning enjoyable.

You all have taught me so many incredible life lessons, knowledge I could never find in any textbook or on any Google search. From what to expect when you're on the job, to how to deal with tricky situations with professionals.

My college career was much more than a textbook, notebook, and flashcards. It was knowledge, wisdom, and lessons learned to prep me for the world outside of a classroom.
Thank you!

I have been very luck to have many incredible teachers throughout my life. Even though I may be out of the classroom, studio, or parlor with a piano, I continue to apply the underlying lessons that all these people have taught and instill in me. Now more than ever these have such an incredible meaning to me.

For all your hard work and effort, encouragement, positivity and support -- I thank you!