10 Of The 'Easiest' Classes At UNC

If You're In The Market For Easy Classes At UNC-Chapel Hill, Here Are 10 Of The Best Ones I Could Find

There's no such thing as an easy class at UNC, but we can try our best to find one anyway.

16106
Alexis Byrd

I think it's important to be honest with ourselves on one front: any class at UNC is going to present a challenge in some way. However, from my own experiences and in-depth research (i.e. casual chats with friends), I've scraped up some classes that are at least interesting.

If you're going to suffer, do it in the name of fascinating course topics!

1. HIST 110

This has been highly recommended by a friend who assures me the class is very little work—just a couple of simple papers. Also, I hear the material (focused on Native American history and culture) is really enlightening.

2. MEJO 430

This class is about personal finances, and it's not just interesting—it's extremely helpful if you're trying to learn to be an Adult.™ We all know we learned about two life skills in all four years of high school combined. Yikes.

3. RELI 104

I took this as an online class and it was both interesting and manageable, work-wise. It's about the history of the New Testament, but you don't need to have any prior knowledge of Christianity. The textbook is by a UNC professor and it's super conversational and easy to understand.

4. MATH 118

If you have to get your QR credit and you're running out of time, I guess I'd recommend this class. Is it easy? No. But it's passable, which is what we're going for.

5. PSYC 101

I took the class as a first-year (I'm a junior now), and it was super engaging. As long as you go to class and pay attention (asking a lot, I know), you'll do fine.

Frankly, it's interesting to learn about the human brain. There's a lot going on up there, huh?

6. RELI 241

I don't think this course is being offered next semester (Fall 2019), but keep it on your radar. It's about messianic movements in America, and it is fascinating. Also, the workload was super manageable (really short reflections on the reading for each unit, one four-page paper, and an open-note final).

7. ENGL 57

Yeah, this is a first-year seminar, so only first-years can take it. But, and I cannot stress this enough, it was amazing. We watched and read a bunch of sci-fi classics and then analyzed episodes of "Black Mirror." Can you ask for better homework than that?

8. HNRS 326

This is "translational skills," which is another Adulting™ class. It helps you build on your professional skills, like interviewing and editing your resume to perfection. Since the last one was just for first-years, this one is for every other group. Sophomores and up, only.

Also, I have it on good authority that they regularly serve pizza in class. 1.5 credit hours, pizza, and they teach you invaluable skills. What more could you possibly want?

9. SOCI 101

I personally haven't taken this one, but it's been recommended to me as well. And I mean, it's an introductory class. Can't really go wrong with those as long as you steer clear of the chemistry and biology departments...right?

10. ENGL 210

This is one of the easiest classes I've ever taken at UNC, and it was actually fun. The focus of the class is the American novel, and the professor is super enthusiastic about all the readings. With the exception of Faulkner's work, I found everything to be really readable and engaging.

That's all I got for now, folks. Feel free to let me know if another course definitely should have made it onto this list and didn't—I'm always open to new recommendations.

I wish you all the best with class registration this semester. May the ConnectCarolina gods be with you.