Ten Forgotten Cartoons From Your Childhood Worth Revisiting

For great laughs and great nostalgia.

604

The early 2000s were a golden age of cartoons that the millennial generation misses terribly. We celebrate the cartoons of our childhood with memes, ranging from Arthur toSpongeBob Squarepants. There are dozens of shows that appear to have faded in our memories, but are truly worth looking back upon and possibly revisiting if you have the time.

1. Class of 3000

Class of 3000was a short-lived Cartoon Network show that lasted two seasons between 2006 and 2008. It was created by André Benjamin, aka André 3000, who was a member of the hip-hop duo OutKast, their most famous song being the 2003 hitHey Ya!

Class of 3000 documented the adventures and misadventures of music students at an arts school in Atlanta. In the beginning of the show, Sonny Bridges (voiced by André 3000), a famous musician who the kids greatly admire, abandons the famous life and returns to his hometown of Atlanta to teach at his alma mater, the art school. The students are a diverse group, including Asian twins and two African-American students. Tom Kenny, the voice of SpongeBob Squarepants and dozens of other characters from our childhood and today, voices one of the kids. They learn life lessons with Sonny's help, and every episode features a catchy song relating to the events of the episode, most of which are available to listen to on Spotify.

The show ended in part due to a lawsuit. A show with a similar premise was developed in 1997 by Timothy McGee, which was stolen by André 3000. He accused André 3000 of "copyright infringement, breach of contract, and misappropriation of trade secrets," and requested the show's profits and legal fees from the production company. The show was cancelled the year the lawsuit came out.

Class of 3000 is worth revisiting for the nostalgic life lessons and classic cartoon humor. If you're an OutKast fan, look out for several references to the band and enjoy the music in every episode!

2. My Life As A Teenage Robot

My Life As A Teenage Robotpremiered on Nickelodeon in 2003 and ended in 2005 due to low ratings after 2 seasons. There were a few unaired episodes that would have been in Season 3, which were shown on NickToons in 2009. The show won a Primetime Emmy Award in 2004 for Outstanding Individual Achievement in Animation.

The show addresses normal teenage problems like popularity and strict parents with humor. The biggest difference is that the main character, XJ9 or Jenny, juggles high school and being a superhero responsible for constantly saving the world, slightly against her will. Jenny's creator/mother designed her as a teenager and eventually allowed her to attend high school, where she experiences crushes, rejection from the popular crowd, and friendzoning a character named Sheldon who has a crush on her. The combination of the struggles of youth and being a superhero-robot are dealt with classic cartoon humor in a unique animation style. Also, the theme song is incredibly catchy. The show seems to have faded into our memories but when you rewatch it, nostalgia will hit you like a ton of bricks and you may find yourself watching episode after episode in just a day or two. It's not that long, after all.

3. Camp Lazlo

Camp Lazloran for 5 seasons on Cartoon Network between 2005 and 2008. It was nominated for a Primetime Emmy for Outstanding Animated Program (For Programming Less Than One Hour) in 2006. In 2007, it won the Emmy for Outstanding Individual Achievement in Animation. In 2008, it won Outstanding Special Class for Short-Format Animated Programs

The show featured silly anthropomorphic characters attending a boy scout-like camp. Lazlo, a silly and cheery monkey, leads the campers in shenanigans to the dismay of the grumpy moose Scoutmaster Lumpus, also voiced by the illustrious Tom Kenny. The humor is mindless and amusing, especially to young children. If you want to watch something distracting and mindlessly humorous, Camp Lazlo has got your back!

4. As Told By Ginger

As Told By Gingerran on Nickelodeon for three seasons between 2000 and 2004. It was nominated for three Primetime Emmys for Outstanding Animated Program (For Programming Less Than One Hour) in 2001, 2002, and 2003.

The show contained ongoing story arcs and the characters aged and developed throughout the show, which is unlike what most cartoons have done. The characters even wore different outfits in each episode. The show realistically addresses real-life issues such as popularity, dating, and even death and divorce.

The show was aimed at tweens and teens, and if you were below that age group at the time (but still saw it here and there) it is worth revisiting. The life lessons will make much more sense and you may wish that it was still on when you were around that age!

5. My Gym Partner's A Monkey

My Gym Partner's A Monkeylasted 4 seasons between 2005 and 2008 on Cartoon Network. It won a Primetime Emmy in 2007 for Outstanding Individual Achievement in Animation.

The show begins with a human boy, Adam Lyon, being transferred to Charles Darwin Middle School, a middle school for animals, due to an error in spelling his last name as Lion. There, he befriends his gym partner, a spidermonkey named Jake (voiced by Tom Kenny), and several other anthropomorphic animals. Like Camp Lazlo, the show uses classic mindless cartoon humor and would also serve as a fun diversion from your problems.

I would recommend watching Animal School Musical, a 42-minute special that parodies High School Musical with songs and even more mindless humor!

6. Chowder

Chowder ran on Cartoon Network between 2007 and 2010 for 3 seasons. It was nominated for a Primetime Emmy for Outstanding Special Class - Short-Format Animated Programs in 2008, won Outstanding Individual Achievement in Animation in 2009, and nominated for Outstanding Short-Format Animated Program in 2010.

Another show featuring mindless cartoon humor, Chowder documented the day-to-day misadventures of a perpetually hungry young apprentice named Chowder for a caterer, Mung Daal. The show featured a unique animation style that occasionally included stop-motion and puppetry. The characters are all some wacky combination of animals or mythical creatures named after food: Chowder being a "cat—bear—rabbit"; Schnitzel, the assistant chef to the caterer being a rock monster; the caterer's wife Truffles being a "mushroom-fairy"; and a woolly mammoth storekeeper named Gazpacho.

Like Camp Lazlo and My Gym Partner's A Monkey, Chowder provides classic cartoon humor for all of your entertainment needs.

7. Liberty's Kids

Liberty's Kidswas a historical fiction series that ran on PBS Kids from 2002 to 2003. The show itself was never nominated for any awards, but the voice actor who portrayed Benjamin Franklin, Walter Cronkite, was nominated in 2003 and 2004 for a Daytime Emmy for Outstanding Performer in an Animated Program.

The show accurately portrays the Revolutionary War era through the eyes of three young people—an American patriot named James, a loyalist and later-turned English-born girl named Sarah, and a French boy named Henri. The trio work as journalists for Benjamin Franklin alongside a former slave named Moses. The show addresses issues such as the American hypocrisy of slavery, loss of parents, living as a minority, and even romance. Famous actors voice important figures in the Revolution. Sylvester Stallone voices Paul Revere, Whoopi Goldberg voices Deborah Sampson, Michael Douglas voices Patrick Henry, Maria Shriver voices Peggy Shippen, Michael York voices Admiral Lord Howe, Liam Neeson voices John Paul Jones, Arnold Schwarzenegger voices Baron von Steubern. Aaron Carter voices Joseph Plumb Martin, Dustin Hoffman voices Benedict Arnold, and Ben Stiller voices Thomas Jefferson.

If you revisit this show, you may ask yourself, "Where was this in (insert grade here) when I studied the Revolutionary War?" Perhaps if you return to the subject in the near future, you can watch the show on YouTube for some relevant entertainment!

8. ChalkZone

ChalkZone ran on Nickelodeon for four seasons between 2002 and 2008.

The main character, Rudy, was voiced by Elizabeth "E.G." Daily, known for her portrayal of Tommy Pickles in Rugrats and Buttercup in The Powerpuff Girls. Rudy is a fifth grade boy who loves to draw, and one day finds a magic piece of chalk that allows him to enter ChalkZone, the world where everything that has ever been drawn on a chalkboard and erased comes to life. He and his brainy best friend Penny frequently visit the world, accompanied by Rudy's chalk creation Snap. ChalkZone contains many villains that the trio must defeat to maintain harmony in the alternate universe. The show features a unique animation style, classic cartoon humor, and a memorable and extremely catchy theme song.

9. The Mighty B!

The Mighty B!was a Nickelodeon show that ran for two seasons between 2008 and 2011. It was created by Amy Poehler. She and others at Nickelodeon wanted to make a "female-driven" cartoon "where this girl is at that great age, you know nine and three-quarters, where you're not boy-crazy and you're not mean to other girls." Poehler was nominated for a Daytime Emmy for Outstanding Performer in an Animated Program in 2009 and 2010. The directors were nominated for Outstanding Directing in an Animated Program in 2010 as well. One of the animators, Larry Murphy, won the Daytime Emmy for Outstanding Individual Achievement in Animation in 2009.

Bessie Higgenbottom, the main character voiced by Amy Poelher, is an optimistic and ambitious 9-year-old "Honeybee Scout." Poehler based her on figures from her own childhood and characters she portrayed during her time at the Second City comedy group. To earn badges to eventually become "The Mighty B," a top-ranked scout, Bessie enlists the help of her slow-witted best friend Penny, her brother Ben who aspires to be her sidekick, and her partially anthropomorphic dog Happy.

The Mighty B! is worth watching now so that you can really appreciate the relevant themes of girl-power and learning from mistakes with humor.

10. Codename: Kids Next Door

Codename: Kids Next Door ran on Cartoon Network for six seasons between 2002 and 2008. It featured the voices of several notable voice actors such as Dee Bradley Baker, Cree Summer, Tom Kenny, Daran Norris, Tara Strong, Grey DeLisle, Rachael MacFarlane, Kevin Michael Richardson, and Mark Hamil.

The show follows a sector of a worldwide organization called Kids Next Door, which works to fight against adult tyranny over children. They frequently fight adult super villains and occasionally teenagers. The show magnifies the struggles that children face. A young adult watching it may feel nostalgic for a simpler time when the biggest problem in life was having to eat Brussel Sprouts. To children, being part of such an organization was something unimaginably cool, and it may still be to you if you revisit it!