Team USA Rio 2016: What To Pay Attention To

Team USA athletes you won't want to miss.

20

If you're like me, you have been counting down the days to the Olympics since London in 2012. I love the Olympics - especially the summer sports. With so many things to watch, I thought I would make a list of 10 things you won't want to miss for Team USA.

1. Michael Phelps.

This is his fifth Olympic appearance. As many know, he is the most decorated Olympian ever. So at this point, he's really looking to beat his own records. Definitely something you will want to watch as he potentially sets the bar even higher.

2. Women's gymnastics.

Just a few weeks ago, the USA Gymnastics Team was selected. This year's women's team is defending their title. Gabby Douglas and Aly Raisman are returning for their second Olympic appearances. Simone Biles is the most decorated female gymnast in history. All in all, this team should be incredible and fun to watch.

3. Katie Ledecky and Missy Franklin.

Both swimmers, they are returning to the Olympics for their second appearance as well. Katie Ledecky has already been setting records in international competitions by winning the 200m, 400m, 800m, and 1500m frees - which has never been done in any Olympics.
Missy Franklin won four gold medals and one bronze in the 2012 Olympics, so you won't want to miss her second Olympic appearance.

4. Women's Soccer.

Soccer is still a relatively new sport to the Olympics - this is only the sixth Olympics to include the sport. Team USA is the only Reigning World Cup Champs to compete.

5. Men's Basketball.

This will be the last Olympic games with Coach K in charge. He has led this team to two consecutive gold medals, so we'll see if he can make it 3 for 3 before passing the torch (pun totally intended) to Gregg Popovich.

6. Women's Basketball.

The USA Women's Basketball Team is defending a very long streak of wins and many of the athletes are expected to retire after Rio, so it should be a really fun game to watch.

7. Serena Williams.

She is defending her gold medal from the last Olympics and competing with her sister, Venus, in the doubles.

8. Ibtihaj Muhammad.

She is a Muslim-American competing in fencing. She is very open about her faith and is the first athlete ever to wear the hijab while competing - the headscarf worn by some women in Muslim tradition. Changing history before the games even begin.

9. Kerry Walsh Jennings.

This is her fifth Olympic appearance, but her first with a new teammate. She won gold in the last three Olympics, so she and April Ross will be working hard to bring home the gold again.

10. Kanak Jha.

He is the first American Olympian born in the 2000s. Yes, you read that correctly. Feeling old now?

Bonus: the Refugee Team.

For the first time ever, there is a refugee team. These athletes come from various war-torn countries, but for these 19 days they represent no country in particular. It is a team of ten people and they are competing in track and field, judo, and swimming. This is going to be really neat and a team I think everyone can root for.

This list, of course, is not comprehensive, just some of the highlights for Team USA this year. Be sure to leave a comment and add any other athletes you would like to highlight. Happy watching, and go Team USA!!