Tea: Can It Be A Healthier Alternative To Coffee?

The research of a last-minute college freshman.

35

The Starbucks coffee craze has definitely put its other products, such as tea, in the back corner of people’s minds. But do they miss out on the possible benefits that tea provides to the human body? Or can coffee, if had without all of the additives, be the better choice? Anne-Marie Botek and Chris Haigh both take a stance on the debate of tea or coffee being the healthy choice of caffeine.

Medically, which of the two, coffee or tea, represents the better choice?

According to Haigh, in his article 10 Benefits of Drinking Tea Over Coffee, “Tea has been shown in studies to help reduce the chances of developing certain kinds of cancers and tumors.” Other health benefits include protection of bones, hydration and replenishment of fluids, strong teeth, and lasting energy (Haigh).

Even though coffee has many health benefits, the benefits of tea claim to be better than those of coffee. Botek argues in her article, Coffee or Green Tea: Which Drink Is Right For You?, that the choice depends on the individual. You can drink tea or coffee depending on which benefits you want. She mentions some of the benefits of tea that Haigh included in his article, but added the benefits that coffee has such as: averting Alzheimer’s, “beating the blues,” preventing strokes and getting some of your daily essential nutrients (Botek).

The amount of nutrients in both tea and coffee are high. As previously stated, coffee “ups your essential nutrients” (Botek). Number three in Haigh’s article infers that tea has far more antioxidants than coffee which supply a positive mood and a fresh look. Tea can also strengthen your immune system (Haigh) and, as mentioned before, can be an effective hydrator. Coffee dehydrates the body and only provides short term energy. In regard to wanting more daily nutrients, tea would be the choice to make.

Are you prepared for the effects of addiction and your mental health?

As for almost everything, moderation plays a key role. Caffeine, in general, can affect mental health and, if consumed in mass amounts, can cause permanent problems. Botek’s research states caffeine can become an addiction and, instead of needing one cup of coffee or tea in the morning, you’ll need three just to function. Too much caffeine can also raise blood pressure. Botek also warns that caffeine can “increase symptoms of anxiety and insomnia in people prone to these issues,” (Botek).

In rebuttal, Haigh’s number nine in the list of ten benefits asserts “tea can help reduce stress.” In his explanation of this point, he also mentions that tea works as an anti-depressant and can lift your mood. You can even have about five cups or more each day (Haigh). This deeply contradicts the claim of insomniac and anxious behavior due to large intake.

Ultimately, the "better" choice isn't obvious.

The two authors demonstrate great points in their arguments. I prefer the benefits and taste of tea but both provide amazing betterment of the human body or can be used to maintain someone’s health. The articles reference both drinks in their purest form: green tea and black coffee. Although, adding the unnatural sugars and flavors does dull the effects of both coffee and tea. Coffee has three times more caffeine than tea (Bolek) and should be kept in mind when remembering the negative effects caffeine can have. This means that you need one-third of the amount of coffee you would normally drink of tea. The five cups of tea turns into less than two cups of coffee to receive the same amount of caffeine. But, when you need an extra kick, coffee can be a quick, but short term, answer. Ultimately, the choice will always be yours as to which benefits to take advantage of and in what moderation. Which will you favor?

Dedicated to my chronic coffee and tea drinkers. I apologize if the writing itself is rough; the article is from my freshman year of college when asked to find an interesting argument.

Works Cited

Botek, Anne-Marie. "Coffee or Green Tea: Which Drink Is Right For You?"AgingCare. AgingCare, n.d. Web. 29 Sep. 2014.

Haigh, Chris. "10 Benefits of Drinking Tea Over Coffee." Lifehack RSS. Lifehack RSS, n.d. Web. 29 Sept. 2014.