Taylor Swift: A Bad Girl In Disguise

Taylor Swift: A Bad Girl In Disguise

Why Taylor Swift's good girl image is no longer valid

154
Taylor Swift: A Bad Girl In Disguise
theverge.com

I realize that this is in no way the most intellectually stimulating, or important, topic out there, but one cannot deny that the rather dramatic fall of pop-star, Taylor Swift, has been big news, particularly in social media. Everyone has their own opinions about what has happened, but I think we can all agree that either way, Taylor has found herself in hot water.

Though I usually find myself rather apathetic in regards to what happens in Hollywood, I couldn't help but be intrigued with the accusations hurled at the singer. At first I was puzzled as to why I cared so much; then I realized why I was interested: I felt played by Taylor Swift. Now hear me out; though not always the biggest fan of her music, I had a lot of respect for Taylor Swift as a successful artist, business woman and a "good girl" in Tinseltown, which is hard to find. It seemed as though she was one of the sweetest celebs out there and could do very little wrong. Little did I realize that she had pulled wool over all our eyes.

I began to grow suspicious of who Taylor really was when I heard rumors about a supposed feud with Katy Perry. However, it never seemed that important or interesting to me, so I just ignored references to it in social media and the tabloids, and sided with Taylor when asked. I thought little of it until Calvin Harris, Taylor's disgruntled, music-producing ex-boyfriend, started dishing dirt on her after she began to accuse him of not giving her credit for some music that she apparently had a part in making.

However, I must admit, that I became most puzzled about who Taylor Swift really was when she suddenly broke up with Harris and began dating Tom Hiddleston, faster than you can say "Bad Blood." It was a very rapid transition, and though most of the internet celebrated their newfound love and the cute pictures of Taylor and Tom together, the possibility that Swift had been unfaithful to Calvin Harris festered in the backs of everyones' heads. To make matters worse, Harris continued to dish dirt on Taylor and threatened to tell all if her people didn't let up on throwing accusations and heckling him.

Yet, even after some very serious threats on her ex-boyfriend's part, Taylor Swift didn't need anyone but herself to ruin her reputation. After the news that Taylor had lied about not knowing some of the more explicit lyrics mentioning her in one of Kanye West's "Life of Pablo" songs, social media did not hesitate to call her out on her dishonesty. Gone was the "good girl" who had inspired millions of tweens and teens to live their dreams and believe in true love. Gone was the seemingly pure, kind-hearted pop-star that enchanted a generation of young girls with her innocent songs. The new Taylor Swift had arrived, and she wasn't so pretty on the inside.

I don't think the reason Taylor Swift fell so hard from grace was due to the fact that she was actually a "bad girl." I think it had more to do with the fact that in the last year or so, she created her saintly image by tearing others down.

Though I am not in any way a fan of Kanye West or the Kardashians, it irks me more that Taylor not only lied about her agreement with West, but even went so far as to accuse him of sexism and misogyny. Granted, the lyrics were definitely sexist and rude, but my expectations are not very high for Kanye West or the Kardashians. It isn't like they've tried to make some prim and proper name for themselves.

It doesn't help Swift's case that she has tried to ruin more people than just Kim and Kanye. As the saying goes, "you reap what you sew," but apparently that wasn't important to Team Taylor, because if it was, she wouldn't have let her people attack Calvin Harris. That was probably the most unintelligent thing she could have done at that moment, as he clearly had no qualms about exposing some of her darker secrets.

This has forced me to come to the conclusion that I can no longer be a Taylor Swift fan. I simply cannot condone the bullying and lying that clearly occurred on Taylor's end. Though there are many parties involved in this saga, and most of them are not completely innocent, the falseness surrounding Swift's "good girl" image is now exposed, and that makes it harder to respect her as an artist, a business woman and a role model for young girls.