A Talk With Your Brain: Seasonal Depression

How it works and how to treat it.

258

It’s that time of year again. Sigh. It looks so pretty, but I can’t even really enjoy it. All I can think about is all the work I have to do, how I don’t have enough energy to get it done, and how tired I am all the time. Sigh. Everybody seems to love this time of year, but some days it’s just so hard to get out of bed.

Brain: Whoa, it’s getting kind of dark in here!

Oh, hi, Brain. Sorry, just lost in thought, I guess…

Brain: You feeling down again?

(Sigh.) Yeah. I don’t really know what it is, either. It seems like just a few months ago I was fine. I don’t know, I just feel so…blah.

Brain: Mhm, I see. Well, have you noticed this happens around the same time every year?

What do you mean?

Brain: I mean, once the air gets colder and the leaves start changing colors, I start changing colors and feel colder.

So, what does that mean?

Brain: It’s called seasonal affective depression or SAD. Psychologists' acronym, not mine.

Okay, so what does that have to do with me?

Brain: SAD, in a nutshell, is when you start feeling depressed or your depression worsens as the seasons change. It actually happens to a lot of people and it’s most commonly known as the “winter blues” because it so often takes place during the fall and winter seasons. In fact, it affects almost 10 million people in America, ten to twenty percent of whom have it moderately. It’s also four times more likely to occur with women than men and it starts in people ranging from ages eighteen to thirty. It can also be hereditary, which is why most people with SAD say they have at least one other person in their family who suffers from another type of mental disorder: Fifty-five percent of those family members suffer from severe depression disorder while another thirty-four percent are alcohol abusers.

So, what are you saying?

Brain: Oh, sorry. Kinda went on an information overload there. What I’m trying to say is maybe you have seasonal depression.

Well, how would I know?

Brain: Do you only feel really down once the Fall rolls around?

Mhm… Now, that you mention it, yeah, I do.

Brain: You mentioned earlier you feel really low on energy and tired all the time, right?

Yeah, but I get a ton of sleep, though.

Brain: More than usual?

I guess so, yeah.

Brain: What about changes in weight or appetite? Do you eat more than usual or have noticed you’ve suddenly put on a few pounds?

What are you trying to say?

Brain: Nothing! I’m just trying to help you figure this out!

I mean, just between you and me, I have noticed I’ve suddenly added a few extra pounds. And I have been craving kind of shitty foods…

Brain: Well, if what you’re telling me is true, maybe you should talk to your doctor.

Mhm…I don’t know… I don’t want to have to go on any types of medication.

Brain: You don’t necessarily have to. Depending on how severe your SAD is, there are a couple of other options besides medication.

Like what?

Brain: Well, because it gets darker earlier this time of year, lack of sunlight can be a big reason why people experience seasonal depression. One form of treatment would be light therapy or phototherapy. All you need is a specific lightbox and a few minutes (about thirty to sixty). Just flick on the light and relax.

How does that help?

Brain: The special lil’ lightbox you buy imitates sunlight which helps stimulate your brain by releasing specific chemicals. That will improve your mood and give you more energy. Plus, because there are so few side effects, it’s probably the most recommended treatment by physicians. The worst are headaches, sleepiness, difficulty sleeping if you use the light later in the day, tiredness, or moodiness.

Okay, what else?

Brain: You could also make an appointment to see a psychiatrist to talk things out. Like a therapy appointment. And there’s exercise which can improve the connection between your body and mind. You could attend tai chi or yoga lessons at your gym or even find videos online.

That’s it?

Brain: Fortunately, seasonal depression isn’t always a year-round disorder. As long as you know about it and you get the proper help and apply it to your everyday life, yeah, that’s essentially it. Plus, it’s also very important you have a proper support system and you remember to take care of yourself.

Wow, thanks. Now I don’t feel so bad anymore. At least I know what’s wrong and how I can treat it. I’m glad we had this talk.

Brain: Me, too! Good luck! And I’m sure you’re gonna be fine.

And remember: suicide is never an option. If you or someone you love is struggling with depression or suicidal thoughts, contact National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1 (800) 273-8255.