Take Time To Focus On Yourself

Take Time To Focus On Yourself

Mental health should be your top priority.

17
Take Time To Focus On Yourself
Huffington Post

At times in our life, hectic situations come up. We are pushed to the limit. Whether it is having 4 lab reports due in one week at college, or having to deal with a sick relative, each and every one of us are placed in certain circumstances that we don't necessarily want. Throughout all of this chaos, the one thing you need to know is that your mental/physical health is your top priority. It seems easy for us to forget about our well-being when we become stressed and anxious. We tend to spend less time sleeping and less time laughing. It's easy for us to "forget to eat" or on the other hand, "stress-eat." During these times within our life, the most important thing to do is to take a moment to step back and take a breather. Taking an hour to take a long bath or spending time with friends or family will lower your stress level. I have see this first-hand.

When I was challenged with tough classes during one of my semesters at college, I forgot to focus on myself. I made sure that everybody else was happy. I would continually make myself exhausted by doing things for others, even when I had a crazy schedule. I forgot to do a "mental check-up" on myself. I got to the point where my mind was drained. I had become depressed because I couldn't find a way to be happy through all of my schoolwork. Finally, I realized that I needed a "Me-ekend." What is that? Well, that is when you take an entire weekend, and as "Parks and Recreation" says, you "treat yo' self."

People vary on how they recharge their mental battery. Some people are introverts and would prefer spending an entire night watching an entire season of "Shameless" and eating ice cream. Others would prefer on dressing up and going out on the town with their friends. It doesn't matter what you choose to do on your "me-eekend," just make sure that it makes you happy. Never forget that your health is your top priority in life.