Taking Care Of Your Mental Health Is So Important

It is necessary...there are ways to recognize poor mental health, and ways to take care of it.

260
Photo by Anthony Tran on Unsplash
"It's so common, it could be anyone. The trouble is, nobody wants to talk about it. And that makes everything worse." --Ruby Wax

Sometimes, we don't realize how important it is to take care of our brain and well-being, as much as we take care of our bodies. However, your mental health is actually one of the most vital things to pay attention to, because if you are not in the right place mentally, you won't be physically either. It ultimately decides how you are feeling, and how you interact.

We all have had one of those days where we just need a break, not because we are actually sick, but we just need to slow down the stress momentarily. Can you imagine what that is like for people who feel like that on a day to day basis? Well, I can tell you what it is like from firsthand experience, and why it is so important to take care of it as soon as possible.

I have been clinically diagnosed with both anxiety and depression, although I knew it before I was diagnosed. I went through a time where I felt like I could not get out of bed, no matter how much motivation I had. It was affecting work, school, and even my relationships with friends and family.

I knew it was getting to a point that was very unhealthy, but it still took me some time to be seen for this. It's scary, and I know that I felt embarrassed to tell anyone what was going on. I didn't want to be looked at differently or treated differently just because I have a mental illness.

Once I got treatment, though, I had never felt better in my entire life. I felt like me, but better. I finally had the motivation to go to work and school and do things with friends. I had even become more spontaneous and wasn't as reserved about trying new things like I used to be. This only made my life better, all because I decided to focus on my mental health.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to make sure that you take a break from stress when needed, tell people how you are feeling, and notice any changes within yourself. If you are starting to act differently than you normally do, even if it is just becoming irritated or a trait you don't typically have, pay attention to it! That means you may need to make some changes in your life. Whether that is your routine, who you surround yourself with, or the way you handle stress, that's up to you.

I also understand that even though society is getting a better understanding of mental health, there are still a lot of stigmas around things like anxiety and depression, along with other mental illnesses/disorders. It is necessary to push past these stigmas, and realize that there are people who are going to understand exactly what you are dealing with, and will want to help you. Another reason people don't talk about mental health is that to friends and family they seemed like nothing was wrong for so long, that it makes it hard to admit there actually is something wrong internally.

I just want to end with this...be you, do you, and don't lose who you are along the path of life.