Surviving School, Work And A Relationship

It's hard overcoming the stresses, but it can be done

6560
www.collegedilemma.com

As someone in nursing school, working basically a full time job, and holding a steady relationship, life can be stressful. All of it will one day be worthwhile, but sometimes it can be hard to handle.This is for anyone, especially in college, who is juggling all three things and is trying to make it out alive.

1. One thing I love about college is that I can choose my schedule.

Now, classes really depend on the major, but us college students get to pick and choose when we want to go to class. Students get the freedom to pick morning classes, night classes, or even have the option to go to school only three days a week. Pick whatever suits you best, sleep in if you want or get those extra days off. It's one of the luxuries of college, so take advantage of it.

2. Breaks between classes can be heaven, despite what some people believe.

These breaks, whether it's an hour or four hours long, are my saving grace. When there's work to do or tests to study for, these breaks save time outside of school for other things. If there's no work or tests to study for, take a nap in your dorm room (or commuters' lounge), hang out with your college friends, or even watch Netflix. They don't have to be boring at all.

3. Bosses just love to schedule workers almost every day around their school schedule: find a way around it.

As a manager, I work 25 to 30 hour weeks. Meaning three, eight-hour shifts and two, four-hour shifts -- or however my boss sets it. That means after school and weekends (basically every single one). Others most likely don't work as many hours as I do, or may even work more, but it is highly stressful. If it's too much, ask your boss for less hours or try to make the place fun by keeping a good relationship with coworkers. Retail sucks, I know, but there's always those whack job customers that comes in and give the workers good stories to tell and a good laugh.

4. Find time for your boyfriend or girlfriend between or after school and work!

When there's too much work and school, it can be hard seeing your boyfriend or girlfriend. If the relationship isn't long distance, take advantage of it. It's always nice to wind down after work and watch your favorite shows together, or even meet for a quick lunch or dinner between or after classes. Breaks at work can also lead to short dates, which can be nice to have.

5. Study dates are fun and can be more than just studying!

Want a date night, but need to study for a test? You can do both! It's even better studying with a partner, especially while at your favorite coffee shop or at a park. After an hour or so of studying, there's more time to spend with your partner!

6. Avoid work drama.

Working in a retail store with all girls always means drama, for my job, anyways. Learn to keep personal problems out of work and work problems out of your personal life. If someone is trying to start problems at work and make your day miserable, don't let it get to you. Don't give them that satisfaction and don't create more stress.

7. Don't forget friends and family.

When you have some free time, don't just make time for your partner. Find time for friends and family, too. Focusing too much on just work and school is tiring, and having more than one person that loves you by your side can help cope with it.

8. Enjoy time to yourself, too.

Do what makes you happy. Listen to music, binge watch Netflix, treat yourself out to food, draw, and so on. Everyone needs a little time to themselves here and there.

9. Don't be scared to spend a little money.

Most college students aren't rich, at all. Even working basically a full time job, I'm still broke due to car payments and textbooks. While it's the best thing to save money, don't be scared to spend it. Treat yourself to food, surprise your boyfriend or girlfriend with a little date or even go out with your friends and enjoy yourself. Restricting yourself from everything in order to save money is basically restricting yourself from fun times. Enjoy stuff here and there, but don't go crazy spending too much.

10. The best way to get over school and work problems is going to the one you love.

For me, I talk out most of my problems to my boyfriend. For others, it could be their best friends or even family. Don't bottle stuff in or stress will continue to pile up. This will easily help keep you sane.

11. Just remember, it will all be worth it one day.

All of those long hours of work will pay off when graduating from college with a degree and money for adulthood. That relationship that you're in could even be the one that you will some day have a family and home with. You'll be able to smile at yourself one day and know that you made it.

School is about to start back up and, hopefully, everyone is ready! Don't let stress take over your life, and don't view a relationship on top of school and work as a problem. It can be great having someone that is more than just a friend be there for you and help you through tough times and long hours of school and work. Times will be tough. Hang in there.