Dating Someone In College

10 Truths I Learned From My College Relationship That Are More Important Than Any Lesson My Professors Taught Me

I wouldn't change my experience for the world.

70
Gracie Dougherty

I'll start out by saying that dating someone throughout college has been the best part of my college experience. It has certainly made my experience much different, but I wouldn't change it for the world. I've learned a lot about being in a relationship during college and I'm so thankful for my relationship and everything it's taught me.

If you are going to be or are currently in a relationship in college, here are ten things you can expect:

1. You won't want to go out as often. 

Honestly, I would rather spend my nights watching Netflix on the couch with my boyfriend than going out to parties or bars. Sure, they can be fun every once in a while, but I find a lot more entertainment in staying-in with my boyfriend. However, this does come with a lot of guilt when my friends constantly want me to leave my apartment to hang out with them and I have to decline because I'd rather be at home with my boyfriend. But, I do still feel like I'm missing out every once in a while.

2. You will want to go straight home after class. 

Rather than hang around campus, I prefer to race home after class to see my boyfriend. It's a great feeling to know that there is someone waiting for me to come home to them. Besides, anything we do together will probably be more enjoyable than doing something on campus by myself.

3. You won't be able to relate to the Tinder, dating, ghosting, and hook-up culture that almost everyone else is a part of. 

I do not mind missing out. I constantly hear about failed Tinder matches, uncomfortable post-bar encounters, and countless ghosting horror stories. I can't relate to any of that whatsoever, and while I'm so grateful that I'll never experience that, it is a little hard to comfort and understand my friends when I literally cannot relate. It's like I'm on the outside looking in on a culture I'll never (thankfully) be a part of.

4. You'll have to learn to balance your school life and your relationship.

Between classes, clubs, and work, college life can be pretty busy. Often times, relationships can be placed on the back burner, which ultimately, isn't good. It also isn't good to put school on the back burner. You have to find the right balance between your relationships and your college career. In the end, it will make for a lot more happiness and a lot less stress.

5. It never gets easier leaving your partner when you go home on breaks.

My boyfriend often has to stay for work when I get to go home for breaks. For example, I went home for summer break and he stayed, resulting in us not seeing each other for a month and a half. It never ever gets easier to leave him and my second home behind, but it makes being together again even better.

6. You will have the best support system.

My boyfriend always has my back, from helping me destress after a difficult test, to celebrating with me when I do well. No matter what, my boyfriend is always there for me, supporting me in every way. It's great to always have someone to be by your side, especially through the ups and downs of college.

7. You may have trouble making other friends.

Because I don't hang around campus too often, or because I don't really like going out, I miss out on a lot of opportunities to meet new people. This part is actually a little tough, because I often find myself struggling to decide between staying in with my boyfriend or putting myself out there and making new friends. It's hard, and it's definitely something I need to work on this upcoming school year.

8. You have to be understanding of each other's different schedules. 

You can't get upset when your partner doesn't have free time when you have free time. My boyfriend works a full-time job and I have a pretty sporadic class schedule, so I find myself having a lot more free time than he does. It can get a little hard when I want to do something and he doesn't have time, but I've learned that I need to be much more understanding of his schedule and how it won't always line up with mine.

9. You have to communicate. ALWAYS.

In every relationship, communication is key. But this is especially true when you're in college. If my boyfriend has a busy day at work, or I have a full day of classes, it's important for us to let each other know that we may not have time to talk that day. Or if one of us might get home late, communicating that is key. It's also incredibly important to communicate with your partner when you're feeling stressed, sad, or worried, et cetera. No matter the situation, it is always so crucial to just talk to your partner.

10. You will have so much happiness in your life. 

Without my boyfriend, I don't know what I would do, honestly. He helps me in so many ways, and if I didn't have him with me through college, I'd probably be feeling pretty lost. Throughout all the stress and craziness of college, my boyfriend always finds a way to bring so much happiness into my life.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.