Surviving the First Wave of the College Sickness Epidemic

Nyquil has saved us all at one point.

12
Quotes Gram

It’s bound to happen to everybody (and if it doesn’t, you’re lucky and probably an alien). I, personally, have been sick for 6 weeks now, so I relate to all of you on a personal level right about now. Especially since it’s one of the busiest times of the semester, it’s the absolute WORST time to be sick; however, it’s inevitable and we just have to suck it up. Lucky for you guys that I have brought to you some advice for feeling better faster.

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F10%2F16%2F636121750283727755-1248468670_odyssey%2520sick%2520meme%25201.gif&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=874&h=63e9d5edb8dc787267a4456bf5b5340562cbc69da76481f7662dd9b9ece1e66d&size=980x&c=794636654 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2016%252F10%252F16%252F636121750283727755-1248468670_odyssey%252520sick%252520meme%2525201.gif%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D874%26h%3D63e9d5edb8dc787267a4456bf5b5340562cbc69da76481f7662dd9b9ece1e66d%26size%3D980x%26c%3D794636654%22%7D" expand=1]

1. Gargle warm salt water

I know it may sound (the concept and the noise) and taste gross, but it’s the best way to cure your cold (or whatever it may be) when you catch it early. Just take a cup of warm water, mix in a teaspoon of salt in it, and gargle away. I personally recommend doing this twice a day to keep the germs out as much as possible.

2. Orange juice or Vitamin C supplements

Vitamin C is one of the most essential things to have in your body to help fight an infection or illness. It’s basic elementary stuff, but it sure does work.

3. Tissues galore

Let’s be honest – we’ve all had those times in class where we have been working on a worksheet with a group and, all of a sudden, your nose starts running so you try to play it off and sniffle a few times. When you’ve sniffled as much as you can without looking crazy, you start to resort to trying to hold it in with the side of your hand or *gasp* your poor long sleeved shirt. Yeah, it’s not a pretty sight. So tissues are a great alternative (and some lotion for under your nose).

4. Buy a humidifier

There are some really great mini humidifiers out there these days. I personally just invested in a mini humidifier/oil diffuser and it’s magical – oh, and it also changes colors. Worth every penny.

5. Take some medicine!

Nyquil has saved us all at one point.

6. Cough drops are your best friend

For the days when you know you’re going to end up having a coughing episode after desperately trying to hold off coughing with all of your willpower (with you then proceeding to leave the classroom in embarrassment).

7. Rest (and skip if you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO)

I’m probably going to sound like every professor on syllabus day, but only skip if you absolutely need to. Like, only if your doctor says it’s extremely contagious or that you shouldn’t be going out. While your health does come first, you can’t risk your academic standings. After all, we are here to get an education.

8. Go to the doctor if it persists and get better soon!