9 Tips for Surviving the Holidays, As Told By 'How I Met Your Mother'

Let's hope this holiday is legendary!

22

Some people believe that the holiday season is the best time of the year: a vacation from work, seasonal movies, hot chocolate under blankets. It's a relaxing time to recharge and perhaps get some fun presents along the way.

For others, December is more stressful than anything else. With family members that are always fighting and expensive purchases that eat up every paycheck, it's impossible to enjoy the holiday.

To help alleviate some of the painful parts of the season, I compiled a list of helpful tips from one of my favorite television shows (of which I am currently binging): How I Met Your Mother. A mix of caring advice from Marshall Eriksen with a dash of tough love from Robin Scherbatsky is sure to serve as the perfect guide to getting through the rest of December.

1. Be Honest With People

backlogadventures.files.wordpress.com

If your older brother is aggravating you, let him know at the beginning.

2. Understand the Chaos

66.media.tumblr.com

Something will inevitably go wrong during the holiday. Someone is going to burn the food, someone is going to pick a fight with you. Eventually everyone will get tired and you can just watch movies on the couch in silence, so just let it happen.

3. Try to Be Positive

media.tenor.com

It might be hard, but do your best.

4. Make Sure You're Enjoying Yourself

media2.giphy.com

Even if you only have time for a little bit of fun when keeping your family members from choking each other, make sure to do some of the things you want to do during your vacation.

5. Let Go of The Anger

i.pinimg.com

I know you want to get your cousin back for staining your shirt, but it's not worth it.

6. There is No Shame in Staying In

66.media.tumblr.com

You don't have to go to that big holiday party if you don't want to.

7. But Still, Live it Up

66.media.tumblr.com

If you do decide to party though, make it a night to remember.

8. Indulge Yourself

s3.amazonaws.com

Your diet can start on January 1. For now, enjoy that extra piece of pie.

9. Worst Comes to Worst...Jam Out

68.media.tumblr.com

Put on your headphones, block out the bickering, and enjoy the sweet sounds of holiday music.

This season is a difficult time, but you can get through it. Who knows, maybe it will be better than you think.

But if it's not, at least you can always drown out the sound of your bank account depleting with Netflix.