8 Ways To Survive The Flu In College This Season

From someone who caught the flu, take these steps I didn't, and help yourself.

99
Masterfile

Its that time of the year again. The coughing, sneezing, and spreading of multiple sicknesses on campus have approached us. Flu season is in full swing and taking its prisoners. Coming from someone who had already caught this flu this year, here are some helpful tips to prevent your fate from being like mine.

1. Wash your hands.

We have all heard this plenty of times since kindergarten. It should be ingrained in our heads now, but washing your hands often will seriously help. Not only do you not know what you have touched that another might, but you also keep the germs from spreading yourself.

2. Drink plenty of water.

Our bodies thrive off of water. When we get the flu, our cells need that hydration to keep fighting off the sickness. The water might not always be the most appealing, but it will help flush your body and get you onto a healthy road that much faster.

3. Take vitamins.

While our cells work overtime to keep us healthy, give them a little boost. Take vitamins with vitamin C and probiotics. Help your immune system out from all the work and making sure it keeps its strength.

4. Cover your face when you cough or sneeze.

You wont believe how many people I see not covering their mouths when they cough or sneeze. Even though you cant see it, the germs are sent into the air and spread around. Coughing into your hand doesn't help either unless you are constantly going back to point one. So do us all a favor and cough into your sleeve.

5. Wipe down your dorm room.

You're sharing a small little living space with another person. If one of you is sick, chances are that the other will be too, unless action is taken. Keep your space clean, not only of laundry, but of germs too.

6. Keep your body fueled with proteins.

Again, your body is fighting off a sickness and needs all the energy it can get. Fuel it with healthy foods and proteins to maintain your strength. Even little healthy snacks throughout the day can make a huge difference

7. Stay warm in these temps.

Bundle up. Letting our body temps fall causes our immune system to drop. That's our defense wall, and without it we start to allow different types of viruses in. Staying warm and maintaining body temp is so important, especially in a frigid winter.

8. When all else fails, call your mom.

Even though we say we can do college all on our own, sometimes we just need our moms. If you catch the flu, going home and getting better is sometimes the exact medicine we need.