You'd be Surprised at What Your Real Super Power is

Discover What Your Words Can Do

12
Google Images

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me".

This might be one of the biggest lies I have ever heard.

I am sure we can all remember something that someone has said to us. Whether it was a compliment, a joke, or even an insult. Either way, it stuck with you. Words have power.

Look around you! Everything was spoken into existence, "And God said, Let there be light and there was light,” [1]. I think it is absolutely awesome how God created everything with just the use of His words. Since we are made in His image, don’t you think that our words have power too? Every time we open our mouth, we have the neat opportunity to speak things into existence. We have the power to either create or destroy.

How do you use your words on a daily basis?

I find it fascinating – yet frightening, at what kind of things we say. There is not a day that goes by without me witnessing someone joking about death. Things like, “OMGGGG I WAS DYING” and “Lol, I’m dead”, catch me off guard. Guys, death is nothing to joke about. I get it if something surprises you or cracks you up, but perhaps there are other words that describe your reaction and emotion. The point is, things like dying are very serious. With two people close to me who just passed away recently and a young student who went to my school now gone, it is safe to say that there’s nothing funny about them being in the grave.

I’m sure we are joking when we say negative things, or when we curse. However, just know that it still counts. Every single thing we say matters:

“But I say unto you, that every careless word that you shall speak, they shall give account on the day of judgment. For by your words you shall be justified, and by your words you shall be condemned,” [2].

It’s easy to use the excuse of just playing around. Of course, our Creator has a sense of humor, because where else would we get it? But just know that speaking life is far better than anything else that can come out of your mouth.

You have a precious life that can be used to spread love, joy, humor, and encouragement with your super power: your words. Speak healing words over yourself and the ones you love. Be positive in what you say! I know people might think it’s funny to curse, but many others find absurd and out of the ordinary replacement words to be funnier. My two favorites are, “What the frick?!” or “Oh nuggets!” and people either laugh and/or lift their eyebrows. Either way, it’s possible to get your point across without using destructive words. Even so, try saying good things about yourself! There are already so many people who say mean things to you and about you, so you might as well contradict their words by speaking good things.

I get it. Habits are hard to break and sometimes it is hard to face the truth of having low self-esteem, which causes us to speak negatively. Other things can be at the root of what comes out of our mouth too. For instance, towards the end of high school to my freshman year of college, I always would say inappropriate things. My friends and I made vulgar and dirty jokes as if it were our second language. In fact, it was. It got to a point where I didn’t even think twice about it; it would just happen. However, last summer, this scripture really woke me up, “Oh generation of vipers, how can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks,” [3]. I realized how true this is. I traced my words back to the source. My heart was full of lust, which makes sense as to why my words reflected that. Maybe you are like how I was. Or maybe you are dealing with other things: pain, unforgiveness, anger, or depression. Whatever is in your heart is what is going to come out of your mouth. This does not mean you are a horrible person or that you are doomed forever. Don’t let your words defeat you. We just have to ask for Him to repair our hearts and we will be speaking like we never have before. It starts with letting go of all the yucky and heavy things we keep stored inside. Once we do that, we are made new and whole. We walk with strength, peace, and happiness.

Go use your super power for good by speaking life!

[1] - King James Version - Genesis 1:3

[2] - King James Version - Matthew 12:36-37

[3] - King James Verison - Matthew 12:34