I Support Megan Rapinoe & You Should Too

"I believe it is my responsibility, just as it is yours, to ensure that freedom is afforded to everyone in this country."

35
ESPN

For centuries people have been fighting for justice in all sectors of our Nation’s history. We strive for success, opportunity, and equality for all while still remaining a competitive, democratic society. In addition to fighting for equality, we witness celebrities and athletes taking political stands that influence society and the decisions we, as a country, make moving forward. An example of this happened in 2016 when Collin Kaepernick took a stand against police brutality, advancing the Black Lives Matter movement. With his push towards equality followed Megan Rapinoe, player on the women’s U.S. National Soccer Team, contributing with similar efforts. In my eyes, though contrary to the perspective of others, Megan Rapinoe used her platform as an athlete to raise awareness and push towards equal rights for all.

Megan Rapinoe, an American professional soccer midfielder/winger who plays for Seattle Reign FC in the National Women's Soccer League, has been targeted to stop her actions of which she has been using to counter the inequality in our country. On March 4, 2017, U.S. Soccer made a stand against people making a stand. It has been decided by U.S. Soccer that United States players must "stand respectfully" during the national anthems before national team games. I believe that the ruling is so targeted that it is denying the basic right to speak out about topics which player, Megan Rapinoe, was trying to represent.

As a whole, each and every day, minorities in the U.S. have odds set against them that they are then required to work through. The kneeling during the National Anthem was not out of disrespect for the country and the flag, but out of compassion for minorities and the daily battles of which they face.

I think for an association to create a rule such as this dismantles the fight towards equality in America. Since this is true, I believe this rule enacted is wrongful and unjust. Megan Rapinoe so gracefully explained her stance when she stated,

I can understand if you think that I’m disrespecting the flag by kneeling, but it is because of my utmost respect for the flag and the promise it represents that I have chosen to demonstrate in this way. When I take a knee, I am facing the flag with my full body, staring straight into the heart of our country’s ultimate symbol of freedom — because I believe it is my responsibility, just as it is yours, to ensure that freedom is afforded to everyone in this country.

Her quote here represents not only her respect for the Nation but her specific respect to both the Nation and its minorities. As a homosexual, Rapinoe faces adversity herself, and she was trying to shed light on the efforts of Colin Kaepernick and his protests of the anthem. Both were trying to raise awareness and make moves towards change, and I do not think that those efforts should be halted and or denied. It should be added that for the upcoming year Rapinoe was left off the National Team roster and rumors are running that Kaepernick may not be picked up from his free agency. Rapinoe says she will respect the rules of the league but I am unsure that this should be the case.

From the beginning of her protests, Megan Rapinoe described her actions as follows,

I have chosen to kneel because in the time it has taken me to write this article, many more Americans have been lost to senseless violence. I have chosen to kneel because not two miles from my hotel in Columbus, Ohio, on the night before our USWNT match against Thailand, a 13-year-old boy named Tyre King was fatally shot by a police officer. I have chosen to kneel because I simply cannot stand for the kind of oppression this country is allowing against its own people. I have chosen to kneel because, in the words of Emma Lazarus, “Until we are all free, we are none of us free.”

She is not trying to disrespect the nation, in turn she is simply trying to ask for respect, ask for coexistence, and most importantly fight for peace and freedom.

People arguing on the opposite side may think that as an organization U.S. Soccer has the right to set codes of conduct for their players. People in favor of the rule would argue that they are within that right, even if I think the players should have the right to do as they please. In the minds of people who support the U.S. Soccer decision, it is an important detail that Megan Rapinoe signed a contract. She works for the USA Soccer organization. They have a right to set standards and codes of conduct. They would further argue that every company applies certain rules and codes to varying degrees. The official statement from the National Team is as follows:

"As part of the privilege to represent your country, we have an expectation that our players and coaches will stand and honor the flag while the national anthem is played."

To them, they see her strives towards equality as one person getting the attention and taking away from what the team is trying to accomplish. It could be argued that the U.S. Soccer organization is not telling her what to do or say during her own time but when she puts on the uniform and is paid to play she is bound to follow their rules. They would argue that they are not denying her rights because she can still express herself off the field.

While I am required to see and understand that side of the argument, the area being discussed is too grey for me to so blindly accept it as just. While she was gaining attention, I think it was attention that truly needed to be served in order for people to understand on a larger scale how unjust our society can be. As a fan, I sincerely wish they stood behind her on the issue rather than attempt to silence her attempts towards equality.

I think there are two different issues. Does USA soccer have the right to mandate this code of conduct the way they did and also, what should they have done instead. Rapinoe's attempt to support Kaepernick and open dialogue on the issue should be admired and looked at in high regard, not dismantled. Attention was needed but people look at her actions and see a distraction, not an advancement. My question to those people is if she hadn’t taken a stand, or a knee for that matter, would you have seen or recognized the issue at all? She was not just a distraction for what her team was doing, she was an attention grabber to shed light on what the country isn’t doing—supporting its minorities. Following Kaepernick’s stance not only supported the black lives matters movement but also shed light on the fact that African Americans are not the only struggling minorities. I feel as though her actions were to represent the LGBTQ community, essentially saying ‘hey, you aren't alone black community, we get it, we understand, and we support you’ We must face inequality and adversity head on, Megan Rapinoe used her platform to get people informed.

Look at the entire civil rights movement, look at the gay rights movement, all have succeeded to varying degrees because of the movements ability to create the change they want to see in the world. It is not just the message but how it's spread. U.S. Soccer is not only taking her platform away, but dismissing Megan Rapinoe’s efforts as though they are simply a lost cause.

Many people who are offended by those who are taking a knee during the anthem have argued from a standpoint that people every day put their lives on the line for this country and have died, and will die so that we can be free. Those offended are not talking about armed forces alone but also but police, fire, etc. They think there's nothing worse than disrespecting our country’s flag. They are under the impression that those kneeling do no respect, appreciate, or care about the Nation and everything it stands for. In turn though, it is vastly important to note that maybe they care so much that they feel as though it is time to beg for a change.

To counter that argument is simply to put the sacrifices of both people fighting for our freedom and those fighting to feel equal. At the same time in history, as people have put their life on the line for the country, people put their lives on the line just by trying to be who they are. People have always fought for the LGBTQ and black communities but people fight against them as well. I do not think they are free. I do not think that disallowing the initial movement was a good call for the league. The league slowed the movement, and frankly, I believe the league is on the wrong side of history, the wrong side of the civil rights movement, and the wrong side of justice.