What Success Really Is

Success Is Not Defined By One Factor

Success cannot be defined by only one thing; people have different definitions of success

683
Success Is Not Defined By One Factor

What is success? According to Dictionary.com, the main definition of success is "the favorable or prosperous termination of attempts or endeavors; the accomplishment of one's goals." Dictionary.com also defines success as "the attainment of wealth, position, honors, or the like.

"Wealth, position, or honors." These are the key things that most people think are needed to be successful, and they are so integrated with the idea of success that they appear in many textbook definitions of "success." Many people strive for fame or fortune in pursuit of what tends to be deemed as "success." People will look at those who are rich or in a position of power and go, "Wow, they are really successful." If someone gets a high paying job a few years after college, they are successful. If someone gets promoted, they are successful. If someone gets a 4.0 and graduates with honors, they are successful. While these things are all measures of success, they aren't all the word "success" encompasses.

Success means different things to different people. Everyone has different goals and things they strive for in life. While some may go for high achievement, money, or power, others may strive towards other things they'd define as a successful life. Success can be following one's passions and working their dream job, regardless of how much their salary is. Success may be found in relationships, family, travel, or just about anything. Success does not have to be found in stereotypical ways; if you aren't rich or famous, it doesn't mean you aren't successful.

Define success on your own terms. Don't let a standard definition drive what you think you need to do to achieve success. Success cannot be defined by only one thing; everyone has different definitions of success. Don't be afraid to create your own definition, even if it breaks the mold.