Why Student Athletes Are Ideal Job Candidates

An open letter to potential employers

45
Eat-sports.com

Dear Employers,

Student-athletes are your ideal job candidates. Over 460,000 collegiate student athletes compete in the NCAA and 65,000 in the NAIA. These athletes are great job candidates. When hiring a student athlete, here is what you can expect:

We're competitive.

Student athletes live to compete. The love of competition permeates every facet of a student athlete’s life. Even after their college careers end, collegiate athletes will still crave a competitive atmosphere. Do you want to be the best in your industry? Student athletes thrive on their desire for success and winning results. Athletes carry these inclinations with them to the workforce.

We've known time management and work ethic since we were kids.

Normal college students have a responsibility to go to class. What they do afterward is up to them. They have freedom to spend as much time on their homework or other activities as they choose. Not student-athletes. When they aren’t in class, collegiate athletes spend much of their day in practice, the weight room, or studying game film. This leaves them few hours to study each day. In order for these athletes to survive college academics, great work ethic and efficient time management are required. Do you want someone who will know how to get a lot of work done in a little chunk of time? If so, you should consider hiring a student athlete.

We know the value of teamwork.

College athletics is an area designed for work-environment preparation. Athletes learn how to interact with an employer (their coach) and fellow employees (their teammates). These experiences build intangible skill such as leadership, teamwork, and coachable attitudes.

We approach everything with success in mind.

Many student athletes are bred in athletic cultures which encourage them to show up early and stay late to practice. They’re groomed to believe hard work combined with determination, perseverance, and optimism will breed success. Great college athletes crave challenges and the thrill of overcoming obstacles.

Do you want to be the best in your industry? Student athletes thrive on their desire for success and winning. Do you want someone who will know how to get a lot of work done in a little chunk of time? If so, you should consider hiring a student athlete. Do you want an employee who shows up to work early and stays late? If so, you might start searching for a student-athlete employee.

Not all college athletes are the same, but all share common experiences and intangible skills. Not sure where to find us? Just look at your nearest college campus and you’ll find us working to improve ourselves, our craft, and our teams.

Sincerely,

A College Athlete

For more information about college athletes, please visit the NCAA or the NAIA.