8 Struggles Of Having Age Gaps In High School Relationships

What you have or will experience if you date someone in a different grade.

2253
High School Musical

All the drama of high school relationships can be made even more complicated if the two people seeing each other are in different grades. If you've ever had an age gap in your high school relationship, you'll understand these struggles.

1. Not having any classes together.

Because you have completely different schedules, you’re lucky if you get the same lunch. If not, you’re stuck with however long you can fit in before school. This may result in a few close calls with the bell if one of you happens to be running late, but it’s worth it to get to see them even if it’s just for the walk to class.

2. People get annoyed when you spend what little time you do get together.

Yes, we will be with each other when we have the chance. Believe it or not, we enjoy spending time together. I don’t call you out for spending all your time with yourbest friend, do I?

3. There are the comments you get when you're the younger one...

“You know he’s not dating you for your personality.” “That’s illegal.” “That’s smart. Now you can dump him and never have to see him again.” Other people have no right to inform you about your own relationship. Not only do they not know, but it's not their business to know. Eventually, you learn to block it all out. The people who really matter in your life are supportive no matter what.

4. ...which are very different from what you're told if you're older.

Guys dating younger girls often get called a pedophile or told they are dating a child. Girls may be called a cougar or desperate. There’s the understandable perception that simply because the other person is in this relationship, they’re immature. It is expected when dating with an age gap that there will be comments and jokes made at your expense. There is a point; however, where it goes too far or just straight up gets annoying.

5. When someone in your class asks who you're dating.

It's practically a reflex to open their Instagram and go to their best selfie. Obviously not a lot, if any, of your classmates will know them. When people ask who you're dating, you either list all the ways people may know them, or just respond with the grade they're in and say that they may have seen them around the school. You always try to keep it cool, even though you could go on and on about how happy that person makes you.

6. You have completely different friends.

It’s awkward enough being the oldest or youngest in a group, but even worse when you only know one person. It’s most likely you try to keep these two groups separate, which of course makes it even more difficult to spend time together. It is nice when your friends approve of the person you're with, even if they aren't best buds themselves. If friends don't particularly enjoy your significant other, everything is still okay. As long as they are happy that you're happy, and your significant other doesn't try to separate you from your friends, you can maintain all of the relationships in your life.

7. People ask questions that are just too personal.

Of course, when it comes to personal relationships, high schoolers have no boundaries. They want to know all the details. From fights to your sex life, existent or not, they are not afraid to ask anything. Sometimes, questions are asked that neither person in the relationship even wants to think about. This includes, “So are you guys gonna break up when they graduate?” or “Do you really think long distance relationships work out?” If you don't tell them what they want to hear, they make it up themselves of course. At the end of the day, your relationship is your business, so you dictate what information other people know about it.

8. Graduation.

Eventually, it becomes inescapable. You must face the inevitable fact that you two aren’t going to be seeing each other every day. The discussion as to what happens next is necessary. When things are going well, this can be scary and sad. You’re allowed to be scared and sad and unsure and conflicted and whatever else it is you may need to feel. Before any of that though, let yourself enjoy the time you have with that person. Even if things last past graduation, you enjoy the time you have together in high school, before everything changes.