It's Time To Stop Idealizing Relationships
relationships

There is no such thing as a "perfect" relationship.

217

Being in a relationship can be really great. Especially when you know you found a really wonderful person. But at the end of the day, no one really knows what is happening in a relationship except for the people involved.

So many times I've heard people say something along the lines of "Oh, that's so cute that he did that for his girlfriend" or "I can't believe he doesn't show up for her games." It is so easy to judge something you are not a part of. Even the cutest couple could be fighting all the time. Or have worked through hard problems in their relationship to get there. Sometimes, when something seems bad from the outside, it's actually really good on the inside. That girl may not care that her boyfriend doesn't always show up because he has to spend extra time studying. And they have that mutual understanding.

Aside from this, when you idealize a relationship, it makes you hold certain things to a high standard and dream about wanting things that are not true for all relationships. Your boyfriend does not have to buy you flowers and chocolates every week for you to stay happy, despite what it says on Facebook and Instagram. All relationships are different, and the people involved are always different. You'll never have a so-called "perfect" relationship. What makes them perfect is love. Not what social media tells you or the materialistic items he gets you.

Just because relationships look happy and glamorous on the internet means nothing. They take work. If you are happy being single and love spending time with yourself, then you should. Don't let anything dictate what you do with your love life or your expectations.