State Legalization Is Not Enough For Medical Marijuana

Federal laws will continue to negatively impact medical marijuana research and development.

20
Tumblr

Marijuana is becoming increasingly accepted in society with states voting to legalize it medically. With the passing of the November election, California, Massachusetts, and Nevada have passed recreational use laws. It seems marijuana is becoming widely accepted by millennials and progressives, but the difficulty for doctors and patients lies in the fact that cannabis is still classified as a schedule I substance, with high potential for abuse and dependency. This means clinical trials (like the ones used to test prescription or over-the-counter medicines) conducted or funded by the FDA still aren’t happening the way they could be. The lack of federal action has created problems on the medical front, leaving a gap between what doctors and patients know about cannabis, and its demand and potential among the healthcare industry. Today, marijuana is classified with drugs like LSD and Heroin, and is considered by the federal government to have no medical use.

The history of marijuana laws in the United States can be traced back to the early 20th century when Mexico’s immigration rates increased due to the Mexican Revolution of 1910. Fear initiated by politicians about Mexicans smoking recreational marijuana led to bans of the substance in 29 states by 1931. From here the laws became more and more oppressive, with mandatory sentencing for minor possession charges passing in the 1970’s. The criminalization of marijuana did not fully deter society from the plant, and with advancements in technology and research we can see clearly the plant has far more benefits than its criminal status would lead us to believe. In fact, most millennials and educated peoples would laugh at the notion marijuana does not have any medical uses. 58 percent of the US believes marijuana should be legal, and 71 percent of millennials hold that view. It is possible the federal government is not legalizing the drug because of the negative impact on the prison-industry, which has been thriving and expanding since the War on Drugs began over 30 years ago.

Research conducted by other countries as well as Universities and hospitals around the United States are uncovering the complexity of the plant, and are desperate for federal funding. With every discovery, it becomes clear to researchers, scientists, doctors and patients that marijuana has the potential to be a genuine healing force for all sorts of chronic pains and diseases both physiological and psychological. Without clinical trials though, it is exceptionally difficult for doctors to have concrete information about dosages, strands, and their effectiveness. For example, one cannabis plant might have high levels of CBD, the chemical in cannabis associated with relieving pain, whereas a plant with higher levels of THC can have less pain associated effects and more psychological benefits. This is but one example of the type of information doctors and patients need, but are having a hard time gaining access to because of federal laws. If clinical trials of marijuana were conducted by the federal government, doctors would have clear information about the right strands to prescribe, how much, and how often. So long as marijuana is considered a Schedule I substance, concrete and reliable information about what cannabis has to offer in the medical world will be hard to come by.