How To Combat Allergies This Year

A Survival Guide For Allergy Season This Year

A season of sneezing and sniffles.

67

Nothing bothers me more than someone who claims to have "SUCH bad allergies" after they proceed to sneeze once. Meanwhile, I'm here with snot dripping from my nose, trying to look through my swollen eyes just to grab another box of tissues. I understand the struggle too well.

However, as a Northeasterner who recently moved to the South, I had no idea just how bad my allergies could be. In New England, nothing blooms until April because everything is dead, but that is definitely not the case down here. I was so excited when warm weather started to come around early March, but not as joyful once I saw the pollen sticking to all my clothes.

I knew I had to be well prepared to survive the rest of the spring semester without chopping my nose off myself. So, I came up with my own personal guide for success.

Carry Small Packets of Tissues At All Times

Sometimes, I think there's no harm that could possibly come to me if I'm just going for a five-minute walk to grab my mail, or even just opening my window for a minute to let some fresh air into the room. I'm always wrong. Every second spent around pollen causes at least five minutes worth of sneezing and coughing, which could hit you at any time. Be cautious and carry around a tiny pack of to-go tissues just to make sure your snot isn't dripping onto your desk in English class.

Invest in Tea

Personally, I think the throat aches that come with allergy season are the most overlooked symptom. People can see you sneezing, they can see your eyes watering in class during a not-so-emotional part of a Biology video, but they cannot see the shards of glass that are caught up in your throat every time you try to swallow. It's essential to stay hydrated to maintain your basic health, and warm liquids are virtually the only way to survive. Any tea will help, but try to get some specifically targeted to relieve throat pain for best results.

Wash Your Hands Constantly

Whenever you enter the wild outdoors during the dangerous season of spring, your skin is inevitably going to be coated with pollen. Since you're eventually going to rub your eyes, this brings even more harm by further infecting them with the pollen on your fingers. After every trip you take outside, make sure to wash your hands to try to limit the effects of itchy eyes. They're still going to sting, but any way to decrease the severity of your symptoms is worth it.

Try Spicy Foods for Congestion

media1.giphy.com

One of the worst parts of allergy season is going two to three months without really tasting food because you're so congested. If you want to clear up some of that sinus pain, try to implement spicy food into your diet. This is particularly challenging for me since I have a very low tolerance for spice, but I'd rather feel the burn than prolong my suffering. Plus, there's the opportunity to potentially taste the food underneath the Sriracha.

Avoid Outdoor Events At All Costs

Larry Jimmy GIF - Find & Share on GIPHYGiphy

With the warmer weather, everyone wants to relax on the grass or just take a nice walk outside. As tempting as it is, I know from experience that every day I spend in the sun will inevitably result in a nighttime routine of sneezing fits and coughing fit. Pull the curtains open if you want some sunlight (as long as you don't open the windows), play some audio of birds chirping if you want to mimic the essence of spring. Protect yourself: stay in the safety of your house.

Don't Hold It In

I know it becomes embarrassing when you've sneezed so many times in class that even that one nice student refuses to mumble "bless you" anymore, or when your coughing becomes so intense that the instructor decides to take a pause just to wait for you to stop. But, trying to hold in those involuntary reactions is only going to make you physically feel worse. Let yourself sneeze, let everyone think you're crying with your watery eyes. It will pass.

To those who have found a medication that works, I applaud you. I've tried Claritin, I've tried Zyrtec, I've tried Allegra, and nothing seems to relieve my pain. All I can really do is hope to come out alive at the end with my nose still intact.

From Your Site Articles
Related Articles Around the Web