Spring Has Sprung, But If You Have Allergies, This Is Probably Your Life RN

For those us who have seasonal allergies, this is the worst time of the year.

309

I don’t know about you, but when I hear the word “spring,” I instantly think of tissue packs, Allegra and lots of sneezing. Unlike most of you, springtime does not only mean warmer weather and pretty flowers, oh no. There are too many hardships we face during this not so wonderful time of the year. So, for those of you who are also allergic to the air between the months of March to early June, hopefully, we can bond over our mutual pain and help others understand that for some of us, spring sucks.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT open the windows.

I understand that the spring breeze is nice and can cool down a room, but please, for the sake of my sanity, do not open the window. Whenever presented with the option to, I always prefer to stay indoors during the springtime. No, I am not a vampire, but staying inside is the only way I can somewhat control how much pollen I am exposed to. Which to be quite honest, doesn’t do much, but I guess it is better than nothing. So please, do not bring the outside in. Let me have a couple of minutes of being nose blowing and sniffling free.

I am not crying, and I am OK.

One of the great symptoms of seasonal allergies is watery eyes. You do not know how many times people have asked me if I am OK. And although I find their caring nature endearing, when you have several people coming to you several times a day asking if you’re OK, repeating yourself gets laborious, especially when you can only really breathe through your mouth. Even if I am walking around with the puffiest eyes and tears streaming down my face, trust me, the only thing I am sad about is the pollen in the air.

Do not tell me seasonal allergies are no big deal.

Yes, there are bigger problems in the world, I agree, but when you literally are allergic to the air around you, it’s kind of a big deal. There have been times when my allergies have been so bad that I have gotten fevers. And in to be quite honest, even if you’re symptoms are not coming at you at full throttle, you’re constantly in a general state of misery. So, sorry if I am not in the best mood, just do me a favor, and hand me another tissue, please.

Rain is our best friend.

Rain means lower pollen count, which in case you haven’t figure out by now, is the best thing ever!

The occasional “good day” does come around.

Usually, after I have taken my allergy medicine consistently for long enough, allowing it to fully kick into action, and by some chance, the particular pollen that triggers me isn’t floating through the atmosphere, springtime can be tolerable. I guess.