Sometimes, Therapy Isn’t For Everyone

Sometimes, Therapy Isn’t For Everyone

Therapy and medications aren't the end all be all of mental health.

20

*Disclaimer: Before jumping in, I'd like to make it clear that some people genuinely do need therapy, and there are plenty of people who use it to the fullest extent. If you know somebody who is a danger to themselves or others, please do not hesitate to seek out help for them.

I think we all know that when your mental health isn't at its best, you can't perform to your fullest extent. The things going on in your head weigh down on you more than you may realize.

Over time, the baggage in your mind begins to show through physically. Admittedly, therapy is a great way to sort through those things with someone who isn't going to pass judgment. You can also gain insight on what you're struggling with, but you have to want to help yourself outside of your therapy sessions as well.

While there are plenty of people who benefit greatly from therapy, there are also plenty of people in therapy who still can't seem to figure out what's going on, who still can't seem to feel better. That's because therapy doesn't magically fix your problems without you. You have to work for your mental health.

Many people try to paint a pretty picture on therapy. They try to make it sound like all you need to do is go to a session once a week and everything will be solved. It's nice to think it could be that simple, but you still need to put in the effort between sessions.

Your therapist can give you advice on how to handle your situation, but you're the one who has to go back into the real world and work on putting things back together. Maybe that makes it seem worthless for you, and believe it or not, that's perfectly okay.

Therapy and medications aren't the end all be all of mental health. A lot of your mental health is reliant on self-care. You have to make sure you're surrounded by the right group of people who will give you love and support.

You also can't be afraid to give yourself a break, but hold yourself accountable at the same time. Taking these steps may not solve everything, but they will put you in the right environment to deal with some deeper roots you may have; the right environment to finally let yourself feel peace and happiness.

Contrary to popular belief, your mental health is in your hands; don't be afraid to take back control.