So You'll Never Be An Olympic Champion

So You'll Never Be An Olympic Champion

News flash: you're dazzling, too!

12
So You'll Never Be An Olympic Champion
CBS

Unless you have been living under a rock the past few days, you know that the 2016 Summer Olympics began in Rio on Friday night. The stunning opening ceremony consisted of fireworks, a lesson in Rio’s national history, and an impressive amount of performers. The Parade of Nations consisted of 207 represented nations, lasting nearly three hours and boasting a whopping 30 million viewers. It’s safe to say that casual conversation this week will center around the events in Rio.

To draw this sort of importance to the world, there must be some pretty special people participating in this year’s Olympic Games. Heavy hitters for the US include Michael Phelps, Simone Biles, and Alex Morgan. These seemingly super-human athletes have trained for countless hours in order to prepare for their time in the spotlight of their sport. Their lives have been dedicated to all things related to their sport, and though they are presumably a bit star struck and humbled by the experience, they have more than likely been dreaming of and striving to participate in the Games for quite some time. Waking up Olympic-ready just doesn’t happen for most of us.

While I join the world in celebrating the amazing achievement that even being included in the 2016 Olympics is for these individuals, I also shout from the rooftops at all of those who watch from home, mesmerized by the teams and their successes, wondering how the athletes ever attained the greatness associated with their participants. We seem to unconsciously look at people like this and think that we will never be able to create such awake with our own actions as these well-known participants do during the course of their time in Rio.

Newsflash: You’re dazzling, too!

So, you home-dwellers and those who listen to the Games on the way to work, you students, you parents, you children… most of you will never be an Olympic champion. Go you! You’re perfect and needed how you are. Sometimes, even more, needed than some of the people starring in the Olympics this week. I’m not debunking the dreams of those of you that aspire to be the best in your sport — go for it, I believe in you — but if you know your calling and place in the world is to be a teacher and to inspire others with your knowledge and daily support, don’t you dare think you take a backseat to anyone, even if those you compare yourself to are the best athletes in the world and wear a gold, silver or bronze medal by the end of this thing.

Most Americans are unhappy with where they are in life, simply because they compare themselves to a standard that isn’t meant for them. I’m tired of self-esteem issues stemming from the celebration of others’ achievements. Count your blessings and celebrate your own talents. You have plenty, I’m sure.

Those of you who are alive today, rejoice! You’re someone’s daughter, someone’s father, and a very best friend. You’re worthy of appreciation, even on days when you feel like you have accomplished nothing. You’re needed in this world, and there is no one that can ever take the place you fill.

As quoted best on Pinterest, “I hope you know you’re capable and brave and significant. Even when it feels like you’re not.”

I’m talking to you those who influence others with their own self-respect or lack thereof.

You’ll never be an Olympic Champion, but you’re a champion nonetheless, and I’m rooting for you. Step up to the starting line and listen for the horn to blow, because every second you’re paying attention to the on-goings of others, you’re tuned out of your own life’s race. Please, don’t ever be so focused on other peoples’ finish lines that you forget to celebrate the journey to your own.