To The Coach That Made Me Hate The Game, You're Not Forgiven

You didn’t tell me how to get better, you didn’t help me improve my skills, you didn’t coach me.

1394
Nancy Summer

I’ve always been a sports girl.

I tried every sport at least once growing up, some of which I succeeded in, and many in which I failed, but I still tried. I’ve been through my fair share of coaches, so many of them were good, some were ok, and some should reconsider if they should even be coaching.

However, one stood out, and not in a good way. There was the one coach that made me do something I never had before, hate the game. This coach took the sport that I loved and made it into the activity that I dread the most, and for that, I can never forgive them.

You do not get a thank you. You do not get the satisfaction of being the person who made me stronger because I did that for myself. I was the one that climbed up out of the hole you dug and threw me into. It was your job to build me up, not tear me down. You took the power that you had in your position and used it in the most negative way possible to take a group of already self-conscious high school girls and make them feel even worse about themselves.

So for that, you do not get a "thank you," but instead, a "screw you."

You do not get to be labeled as one of the coaches who changed my life.

You did not take me in and nurture me into a stronger and more confident human like you were supposed to. Instead, you tore me down, told me I wasn’t good enough, and told me that if I ever wanted to play, I’d have to get better.

But you didn’t tell me how to get better, you didn’t help me improve my skills, you didn’t coach me. You didn’t do the job that you were given to do, and instead of making me a better athlete, you made me hate the game.

You took the sport I had fallen in love with as a kid, the one I had looked forward to playing in high school for so many years, and crushed it into a million pieces, all because you couldn’t learn how to be a good coach.

Finally, you do not get to be forgiven. I’ve always been one to forgive, but never forget, and never burn a bridge if you don’t need to.

But in this case, this bridge is burned to the ground and it will never be rebuilt because your actions were unforgivable.

You made me feel like I was less of a person.

I felt that I was never going to be good enough, and that stuck with me for all of high school.

And to be honest, it still does now.

I wasn’t a confident person, to begin with, and the fact that you always broke me down instead of building me up only made it worse, and made me question whether I was ever going to be good enough; not only for you but for myself and everyone else.

So the next time you coach a group of girls, maybe you should look back at the impact that you’ve had on the others you’ve coached in the past, and reconsider if you should even be their coach. If you can’t lift them up, and if you can’t make them better versions of themselves, then you don’t deserve to coach. You were the coach that made me hate the game I loved, and for that, I can never forgive you.