Smoothie Drinks and Five Healthy Foods You Can Add to Your Diet

Smoothie

36

Everyone loves smoothies. What started out as a drink called the “lassi” around 1000 BC became even more popular with the invention of blenders in the 1930s. Hippies and health freaks drank the frozen concoctions on California beaches in the 1960s and they’ve been evolving ever since.

People flock into establishments like Nevera Juice bar for the best smoothie bar Whittier has ever had to grab a healthy and delicious dose of goodness.

Custom Creations for Healthy Smoothies

One of the best things about smoothies (besides the taste) is that you can customize them to add flavor and health benefits. You can choose to add a fruit, veggie, or bonus ingredient for the nutritional value it adds, and you can also opt for blends that are good for whatever ails you – like energy rechargers, heart health boosters, and those promoting weight loss.

Smoothies are the perfect meal replacement, snack, and desert substitute. Like juice, because the food is blended, you are able to consume more of it. You can toss in an ingredient or two that you’re not overly fond of but that is super healthy (like kale) and you’ll never even know it. It’s no wonder smoothies are so popular with young and old alike.

Pick Your Potion

If you’re searching for suggestions for healthy smoothies that are bursting with nutrition and are packed with flavor, here are five great choices:

Bananas

Bananas are one of the most requested ingredients in smoothies. Bananas come from a family of plants called Musa that grow in warmer climates like Southeast Asia. There are many sizes and types. Most are yellow or green, but some are red.

Bananas are naturally sweet, so they easily take the place of sugar, thicken the blend, and add texture too. Bananas are loaded with vitamins and minerals like potassium and vitamins B6 and C. They are an excellent source of fiber, healthy carbs, and also contain plytonutrients and anti-oxidants.

Smoothies made from bananas are good for heart health, weight loss, and energy. They are great for digestion too.

Serving as a fantastic backbone in many blends of smoothies, bananas go well with a ton of other foods like fruits, berries, chocolate, and peanut or almond butter.

Acai

Somewhat of a newcomer on the scene, acai is a berry that comes from a palm. It hails from the Amazon region of South America. It has a very short shelf-life of only 24 hours. Although it’s been consumed by the locals for thousands of years, acai didn’t catch on in the United States until the early 2000s when three guys on vacation had the brainstorm to preserve it in freeze-dried form and bring it back to America. Now the superfood can be found in energy drinks and frozen concoctions all across the nation and is a favorite pick for healthy smoothies.

The berries are packed with a powerful anti-oxidant called anthocyanins so they help fight diseases, promote a good immune system, They are also great for anti-aging, heart health, brain health, and aid in digestion as well.

Acai contains polyphenolic compound which helps reduce malfunctioning cells by 86%, making it an excellent defense against cancer.

Because acai smoothies are a satisfying option to sugary snacks, they are perfect for weight loss.

Need a lift? Acai promotes energy and provides stamina. And if you suffer from bad cholesterol, you’ll be happy to know acai contains omega-6 and omega-9 that reduces high cholesterol and helps maintain the balance as well.

Berries

Berries are among the healthiest foods on earth, so they are ideal for plopping in a smoothie mix. They are pulpy, small, often edible fruit that are juicy. Depending on the type of berry, they can be sweet, tart, sour, or even bitter. They are typically brightly colored or dark. Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, cranberries, acai, raspberries, and red currants are some of the many kinds of berries available to eat or add to a smoothie.

Berries are bursting with flavor and there are so many to choose from. They also play well with others – delicious with bananas, other fruits, and even chocolate, the possibilities are endless.

Berries have tons of vitamins and minerals like vitamin C and K1. They are filled with antioxidants to help fight off illness and prevent diseases. Berries are a rich source of fiber to aid in digestive health.

Whether you are trying to improve your heart, brain function, circulation, gut health, skin clarity, or fight aging and lethargy, berries are your “go-to”. They are also excellent for weight-loss.

Pineapples

Pineapples are a favorite food for tropical smoothies. The pineapple comes in a package of waxy, tough leaves that when cut open, yield a delicious, juicy fruit that has an interesting texture that makes smoothies even more desirable.

Pineapples are full of vitamin C, copper, and manganese. Healthy carbs and protein add to the benefits of this yummy fruit. It has few calories but loads of fiber so it’s an excellent ingredient for weight-loss smoothies.

Whether you’re fighting off a cold, needing some quick energy, or are watching your weight, pineapple is the perfect addition to your next fresh smoothie blend.

Papaya

Papayas are round fruit that originated in Mexico. They are a tropical fruit that has a sweet, slightly tangy, flavor that is a scrumptious addition in fresh smoothies.

Papayas are a great source of vitamins and minerals like vitamins A, D, B6 and B12, potassium, magnesium, and sodium.

Not only do papayas taste great, but they also boost metabolism, ward off illnesses and diseases, make your skin look younger, and promote energy. They are especially flavorful in tropical or fruit-based smoothies.

Peanut Butter

Peanut butter adds a ton of protein to fresh smoothies, so they are filling and delicious. Peanut butter is loaded with nutrients such as iron, magnesium, potassium, folate, healthy fats, vitamins E and B, and fiber.

Superb for heart health, skin health, and an energy booster besides, peanut butter is a base ingredient that makes a smoothie shine.

Smooth and silky or nutty and crunchy, peanut butter goes well in banana smoothies or mixed with chocolate or carob, peanut butter makes you think you’re breaking the rules when actually, it’s one of the healthiest ingredients you can add to a smoothie.

Spinach

Spinach isn’t a top five fresh smoothie ingredient because everyone loves it…it’s because so many people don’t. But considering all the nutrients and benefits spinach brings to the table, they are clearly missing out. Tucked into a smoothie, however, spinach is barely noticeable and still provides all the perks.

Spinach is a leafy green plant that flowers. It is native to Central and Western Asia. The leaves are an edible vegetable that can be served fresh, frozen, steamed, canned, or dehydrated.

Talk about healthy! Spinach is overflowing with vitamins and mineral such as iron, vitamins A, C, and K1, potassium, calcium, and folic acid. It is rich in fiber and is packed with anti-oxidants.

Iron is fabulous for boosting energy, promoting the health of organs, skin, and eye health, reducing high blood pressure, and for pumping out healthy blood cells.

Even if you can’t stand spinach, you owe it to yourself to order it up in your next smoothie. You’ll never know the difference except for how wonderful it makes you feel.

hare on Pinterest

Where to Find Smoothies – Whittier

Recently, the Whittier area has been on a mission to get healthier. More people are jogging in the park, taking part in extreme adventure challenges, and seeking out better ways to eat and drink. The new Nevera Juice Bar offers the best smoothie bar Whittier so be sure to stop by and enjoy one today.