6 Simple Mindfulness Mantras To Adopt This Summer

From writing in bed to taking a relaxing hike on a Sunday afternoon, find ways to boost your well being this summer.

199
Unsplash

While life may finally be slowing down for you, you may push self-care and daily mindfulness to the side. However, now more than ever you should be utilizing this calm to nourish your mind and body! These simple changes you can make without any real commitment or effort but will have a sizable impact on your daily life. Whether you're busy working all summer, plan to spend your days lounging in the sun, or taking summer courses, mindfulness is a vital part of spiritual well-being and self! The small amount of effort required to focus on mindfulness will surely pay off if you really want it to.

"Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment, full effort is full victory." — Mahatma Gandhi

1. Set a daily routine

It's important to start and end your days on a peaceful and routine note. Each night go through your nightly bathroom routine and set a reasonable bedtime for yourself. Focus on getting yourself unwound to sleep when you plan an sleeping. Be sure to set an alarm for the same time every morning (OK — take a few days off when you have a late night I get it) and go through a set routine every morning. As tempting as it is to sleep all day, try making your day off as productive and mindful as you possibly can. These routines allow your body to have the most energy and be prepared for your day ahead no matter what that consists of. Learn more about what your mornings and evenings should look like (Yes, making your bed makes the list) here.

2. Practice shower meditation

As part of your morning or evening routine (I personally LOVE a good night shower but it's all personal opinion), try taking a few minutes in the shower to focus on your breathing and be mindful of your thoughts. It's important to take time to meditate every day so why not multitask and wash your hair at the same time! The hot water will help to relax your body and clear up and congestion you feel. Cleanse your body and mind from life's impurities simultaneously!

3. Watch what you put in your body (!!!)

One of the most important aspects of mindfulness is focusing your attention on what you are putting in your body throughout the day. Please drink your water boys and girls. Water is vital to your well being and energy level through the day. Also be sure to eat something every morning for breakfast. Don't settle for a greasy egg and cheese on a bagel or a sugar-filled pastry, instead, try having oatmeal with fresh fruit or even a smoothie! At the very least at least be sure to grab a cliff bar and a banana when running out the door.

4. Write in the morning

Try keeping a cute journal and a set of colorful pens on your bedside table and be sure to write something every morning right from the comfort of your bed. You can even buy a guided mindfulness notebook if you feel too lost to try it on your own. You can write anything from a daily to-do list, a recap of your day yesterday, what crazy dreams you had, or your goals and aspirations for the week.

You can read them back at the end of the week or every so often to check up on your progress and continue to stay mindful. These no limitations on what you can write about, how much or how little you write, all the counts is you take a small portion of your day to get your thoughts down on paper (or digitally I guess).

5. Observe and appreciate nature

Hopefully, you are fortunate enough to be able to spend a reasonable amount of time enjoying the great outdoors. In any of the time that you steal away to be in nature, be sure to be mindful of your surroundings. There are actually health benefits that can help both children and adults with a variety of diseases and illness. Nature can also be beneficially for literally everyone, even if you're already healthy. Immersing yourself in the world outside of your home and work obligations is a vital way to boost immune health and much more.

6. Carefully plan your yoga and exercise

We all know the key to staying sharp and happy is to get out and MOVE. However, having a mindful game plan for your daily exercise routine is the key to efficiently make working out a part of your day. You don't even need to go to the gym every day (or at all honestly, turn your room into a home gym). Deciding what kind of exercise your body is capable of that day. This could be going for a 2 mile run at your local track or simply rolling your yoga mat in your bedroom and trying out some poses.

It's important to listen to your body and not overwork yourself in any way. Exercise should have a positive impact on your day, not leave you too tired to be productive or cook dinner. Yoga is a great form of mindful exercise and can have an overwhelmingly positive effect on your whole day without drowning in sweat at the gym!

All in all, you should make being mindful a priority this summer and be sure to restore yourself as much as you can while the good weather hangs around. Being in touch with your mind and body will prove to be excellent for your mental and even physical health. Be sure to listen to your thoughts and what you feel will have the most positive impact on your day. Living in the moment is vital to being happy and healthy and living life to the fullest. I highly recommend checking out the mindful.org website and reading as many articles you can this summer in order to be at your best year round!