Shoutout To The Independent Girls

Shoutout To The Independent Girls

because settling for f*ckboys is never an option

30
Shoutout To The Independent Girls
PopSugar-Assets

I've always believed that people should never settle. It's a simple concept really, to just wait for something that, once you get a taste of it, makes you realize you can't hold off anymore. To only give in when someone makes holding out look like an inconceivable option. Elyse, you'd like to ask, what are you going on about? Alright it's story-time kids. I'll keep it brief.

I've held onto that attitude for a long while, and just this past week I went on a date that truly solidified it. I had a "what's the harm?" outlook, which is fine as well, but not when I didn't actually want to go. Not when I only got that brief outlook because there's a lot of pressure from family, friends, even yourself that doesn't need to be there. Before saying yes to the date, I'd said I was fine and didn't really see myself being in a relationship with him anyways so why bother going, but somehow the concept of being alone and not feeling the need to go on a date is very foreign to people. So I went to entertain them, not myself. Fast-forward to an hour into the date and zero chemistry and talking about politics only took us so far, and then - he didn't offer to pay. I ordered a $2 tamale on taco Tuesday people. Paying for the first date I understand isn't the norm anymore and I suppose that was fine, but call me old-fashioned because I think the man should've at least offered and at that point it was just another tick in the never see again box. The next bit though, everyone can agree was just....wrong.

Mere minutes after leaving the date, he texts me about meeting up again. Ten minutes after I don't respond? He texts my best friend asking if she wanted to get drinks that same night even though he knew we've been best friends....since we were six years old...

After that, this hilarious video of boys' persistent idiocy being so strong it transcends into dreams makes all the more sense!

Because really...how could guys be so dumb? Do they honestly think best friends would date the same guy? Especially on the same night?

I wasn't all too disappointed though, a little shocked I'll admit, but not disappointed. I didn't like him in the first place anyways. So listen up all you people thinking they're strange for feeling fine on their own, because this is important.

You're fine by yourself right now, actually, you're better than fine. Your life is a gift, it's special. So be selfish with it. Don't waste it on individuals that you don't have to unnecessarily. Re-reading that I may have whispered, yikes. That sounded a bit self-absorbed didn't it? Let's try and fix that.

What I mean is that you're special and unique and yes, be friendly towards everyone, kill 'em with kindness and all that, but - and this is an important but - you don't need to date nor settle down with a person your feelings are less than passionate about. If you aren't excited about them, if they don't get you feeling a little flustered, if butterflies seem like an endangered species when they say your name, if they're nice like a friend but then they asked you out and you feel an obligation to go out with them and now you find yourself a little stuck....then what are you doing? Quick reminder for you:

We are young.

There are so many people in this world that we have left to meet.

You're living and growing as your own human and until you meet that person you genuinely want to start sharing a journey with, remember that these are our selfish years. This is the time we're living for us. We're free, a little crazy, getting to know ourselves better, and we don't need to be concerned about a significant other. Take advantage of it! We're in the process of creating our own fascinatingly independent stories that we'll be able to share with our future partner in crime later on in life. This quote puts it more beautifully than I ever will:

"I don’t want you to be waiting, to be sitting there hoping for me to arrive. No, you are so much more than me, you have a life that is full of meaning and beauty. I don’t want you to leave your canvas blank because you think I’ll be the paint, for you are the paint to your own canvas, you are being made into something wonderful. Don’t dream of me, and forget to live your own wonderful life, because I’ll meet you one day, and we’ll have so much to catch up on. One day, you can take me through the museum that is your life, and I will fall in love with all the stories that lay within those walls. So don’t wait for me, because you and I will start a new life when the time is right, but for now, love the story you are in; I know I will." - T.B. LaBerge // Unwritten Letters to You

And if you want to date around, do it! It's your life. Just make sure you're doing what you want because you're making your own decisions. And don't settle.

Beyoncé wouldn't want you to.