Shocker Basketball: Where Fans Are Born

Shocker Basketball: Where Fans Are Born

“Give it everything you’ve got in your heart and in your body. And these fans will absolutely love you.” – Gregg Marshall

195
Shocker Basketball: Where Fans Are Born
Shereezie Wordpress

Gregg Marshall’s words could not be any truer. Past, present, and future players on the team, representing Shocker Nation could not give any more heart and energy to the game then they already do. This is part of the reason I love going to Wichita State basketball games.

Before I came to Wichita State I was not a basketball fan of any type nor had I ever a watched college or profession basketball game. Granted I had played basketball for a little bit when I was a kid before I found bowling, but that is a different story. I had friends that watched basketball games and talked basketball but I would always tune them out or go talk to someone else. Basketball held no interest for me, at the time I thought I would always just be a girl who loved football. Then I came to Wichita State and that all changed.

Upon arriving at Wichita State one of the most common topics talked about is Shocker Basketball. If you were to go anywhere outside of Kansas wearing anything with Wichita State on it, I promise you, 90% of the time you will get, “Oh, they have a good basketball team.” Being a part of Shocker Nation is a way of life and Wichita loves our basketball team too. We may not be a college town, but Shocker stuff is everywhere. When you put on that Wichita State t-shirt (because you have to represent at the game) and you go to Koch Arena for your first basketball game, watching the game is half the fun. Standing in that student section struggling to learn the chants and cheers, surrounded by 10,000 of your closet friends, feeling that undeniable energy coming from not just the players but the crowd too is the other half of the fun.

To all the freshmen out there struggling to learn the cheers, you are not alone. So to help here is a breakdown for you.

There is multiple chants that are done along with the band, Shocker Sound. The most common one done throughout the game is

“Rip em up, tear em up, let’s go Shocks!”

This chant is done using your right hand make your “Shocker”

Then, when it comes time to do the Alma Mater don’t be afraid to put your arm around the stranger next to you, we are all family here. The Alma Mater will be on the screen for you so don’t worry about having to memorize it. A tip for when you are putting your arms around your friends, make sure your right arm is on your friends shoulder so that you can easily use your Shocker when it gets to “long wave the yellow and black,” on black you yell it and bring down your shocker.

Now, when it comes time for the other team to announce their starting lineup you will turn around and be prepared to yell a few things. After each player is announced you will yell one chant per player and in this order,

So What!

Who Cares!

Big Deal!

Who’s That!

You Suck!

What can I say, you came to Wichita State, and we play angry. As the game starts here are a few tips that aren’t quite cheers/chants. First, we clap our hands until our team scores, second we stand the entire game (except for half time and when short activities occur), however the entire Roundhouse stands till the other team scores their first points. At times, when the opposing team has the ball we all yell a deep and constant “oh.” There will also be a couple of cheers the cheerleaders lead the crowd in.

When it is time for free throws, we put our Shockers up (both hands), there will be someone who yells “Shockers Up!” that is just how it is, don’t question it. When the shot is made we flick our wrists down and yell “Wuush!” (Yes, I spelled it with Wu, we are Wichita State after all).

Now, when our players make a three pointer you make your hand into the “OK” sign to signify 3, when the announcer gets to “and that was good for a…” you yell “Shocker Three!”

The last tip I will give you on cheers is when it comes time to do the fight song, it goes

“You don’t want to go to war with the Shockers,

Don’t start no stuff, won’t be no stuff!”

Want to know another great thing about Shocker Basketball? Well, that would be Marshallville. Which is a student organization devoted to Shocker Basketball, I mean what could be better! They do fun themes for games every now and then. Most recently they did a luau theme for the last home game before the Shockers went to compete in Battle 4 Atlantis in the Bahamas over Thanksgiving break. Then in the spring semester they do a camp out for three nights leading up to Senior Night. Now this is a must do for any freshmen! You don’t have to spend all three nights out there, you just have to have 50% of your party there. Plus you then get priority access to the game. Marshallville is honestly amazing for Shocker Nation! It’s a tradition to take a photo with the sign outside of Koch Arena, what person wouldn’t want to!

When it comes to getting basketball tickets, the crowds change every year. You can always get your basketball tickets at the Bookstore, Heskett, or Koch. Before my freshmen year my friends told me of how quick the tickets would be gone and you would need to wait outside Rhatigan until it opened, then go wait outside the bookstore until they open so that you would for sure be able to get tickets. However my freshmen year the crowd was never big right away, but I did always make sure I got a ticket the day they came out so I knew I had one no matter what. For this year, the tickets have been going really fast again. So honestly it fluctuates how fast the tickets go. To be safe, make sure you always get a ticket the day they come out.

As soon as the season schedule comes out, I make sure to put every game in my planner. So that I know when home games are and when I will be able to watch away games on TV. Home games to me, personally, are the best part, because there is so much that goes on behind the scenes of a basketball game that you miss by watching it on TV, especially the cheering. However, Shocker Basketball has made it so that I will watch the away games too, because of how amazing the team is and how the players put their hearts on the court. I understand that I would be the fan of my basketball team for any college I went to, but Shocker Nation is so much more. We still follow and cheer on former players that have gone pro. Once a Shocker basketball player always a Shocker basketball player.

The exact moment Shocker Basketball made me a fan, I have not a clue. However, I do know, that all the memories I have made at the games and how much fun it is to cheer on the team is exactly why I continue to go to every home game I can. The crowd is electric and the players give it their all, making it an incredible experience.

The school, the fans, the players, the coaches, all make Shocker Nation and Shocker Basketball one amazing experience.