Seth Rollins And Rollins College Are A Perfect Match

We can make it happen.

71

Hi there. I want to talk about a niche, somewhat embarrassing guilty pleasure of mine: professional wrestling.

Wait, wait. Before you click away, hear me out. I’m well aware of professional wrestling’s less-than-stellar reputation outside of our little bubble. It’s one that is likely deserved, considering some of the more juvenile moments the medium has presented us with in the past (looking at you, Attitude Era). Despite it being a fairly rare hybrid of athleticism, acting and storytelling, a kind of heightened, theatrical performance, the world of professional wrestling survives beneath the mainstream, entrenched deep within the doldrums of the entertainment spectrum. The stigma of what pro wrestling is and who it appeals to naturally extends to its fanbase, which is why I resort to calling it a guilty pleasure; the truth is, it’s actually one of my biggest passions.

Frankly, my purpose for writing this isn’t to try and convert those who don’t watch or even remotely understand the appeal of wrestling. I know I can’t rationally quantify my love for it, as entertainment, as an art form, in a way that would make sense to you. So why, then, am I writing this? What exactly is the point? It’s simple. I had an idea.

For those unfamiliar, you probably didn’t know that one of WWE’s biggest superstars is a man by the name of Seth Rollins. Yes, Rollins. Now, I’m not going to say with any certainty that there’s a direct correlation…but Seth was brought up through WWE’s now-defunct Florida-based development program, Florida Championship Wrestling. WWE’s current development system, NXT, is based right around the corner at Full Sail University. They also have a state-of-the-art training facility known as the Performance Center in Orlando. Moreover, Rollins has acknowledged that his stage-name is a small ode to one of his own inspirations, musician and activist Henry Rollins, who has a rich history with Rollins College as detailed in this 360 article from last year -- just saying.

Intentional or not, every week on national TV, in front of millions of viewers, one of the company’s most talented, popular stars shares a surname with our beloved college. For a while now, I have been thinking, how awesome would it be if Seth Rollins could stop by Rollins College for a tour, as a guest speaker or something?

About a year ago, I actually did contact WWE with the request. I specifically made a Twitter account to tweet @WWE and @WWERollins about it, as well. But my push ended there. I must have decided it wasn’t something that could actually happen. Now, on a whim, I’m returning to the idea at the start of a new school year, my last year, actually, and therefore my last chance to actually see this through. My goal is to spread this wish and share why a visit from Seth Rollins would be an awesome experience for everyone, not just the wrestling fans.

In pursuing our higher education, especially within a culture and environment like Rollins, we have made a conscious effort to reach out for our dreams and shape our careers. Two-time former WWE World Heavyweight Champion Seth Rollins shares more than just our namesake. Having made it all the way from watching wrestling as a kid, breaking onto the independent scene at only 17-years-old, to reaching the highest point of the mountain before he was even 30, Seth knows a thing or two about sacrificing to make his dream a reality. His first Heavyweight Championship reign was cut short by a freak injury during a match, when after coming down off the top rope he tore his ACL, MCL and medial meniscus all at once. Rollins displayed the same strength of character and resolve that got him to the top in the first place, impressively making a triumphant return just six months later. Despite all the adversity and disappointment, Rollins now finds himself back in the main event picture, this time at SummerSlam on Sunday, August 21st, one of WWE’s biggest events of the year.

I might’ve lost you by now, so let me try and bring it all home: sacrifice, adversity, uncertainty, reaching for your dreams. Does that sound familiar? What do we as college students struggle with more than our identity? Than the security of our future, the impact of our decisions? Should I go the safe route? Where will I be in five or 10 years? What will I have accomplished?

Not to diminish our existential struggle, but telling your parents, siblings, teachers, any authority figure in your life that you want to be a pro wrestler is…hard and probably ridiculous, according to some. It’s just as hard as wanting to be a writer, actor, musician, artist or play in a major sports league. Perhaps it’s even harder, given wrestling’s aforementioned stigma and assigned place in society. It’s also hard because when you announce this desire, you are not some bodybuilder or athlete. You are just a kid. A kid who saw a wrestling match and said, “Wow. I want to do that.”

Committing to the sacrifice chasing your dream requires isn’t just a big step, it is a colossal leap into the abyss. The people most frequently deserving of our admiration are those who made that leap and succeeded in spite of the doubts and constant threat of failure. Seth Rollins is one of those people. Seth Rollins serves as a fitting representation of everything we as students hope to achieve. I want him to come to our school not just because his name is Rollins (but let’s be honest, that’s cool enough), or because I’m a wrestling fan, but because there’s so much we could learn from him. Because he has so much to share about the drive, work-ethic and sacrifice it takes to make your dreams a reality; the heart required to fight for your dream after it's been suddenly taken away. He started from scratch and rose to an elite level in his craft, right here in our own backyard. That’s why I want him here. That’s why we should all want him here. So share this. Help make it happen.