Service Dog Showcase: Liam and Einstien

Service Dog Showcase: Liam and Einstien

A not so ordinary story of a boy and his dog

54
Service Dog Showcase: Liam and Einstien

Every morning Liam gets ready for school like any other kid, but he doesn't go at it alone, Liam has an 110-pound helper, Einstein. Einstein is a two (almost three) year old Great Pyrenees and is a Psychiatric Service Dog trained to help with Liam's Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). I spoke with his mother, LisaBeth who tells me the story of a journey that wasn't easy, but was well worth it.

Einstein on the way home with his new family

Their journey began with their search for the right dog. During their search, LisaBeth was pointed to Einstein only after seven failed attempts to find the right dog. Einstein at the time was only five and a half weeks old and Liam, after falling in love with another dog who didn't make the cut for service work wasn't quite sure what to think, but he and his mother made the 13-hour drive to pick the little guy up, a life changing decision. After picking Einstein up LisaBeth had the challenging task of finding a program or trainer that would help train a PTSD dog for a child. After countless hours of searching, she found Paws4People and a trainer from Paws Training Center came and temperament tested Einstein. Trainers who are familiar with and have experience working with service dogs will temperament test a dog before approving them for service dog work as it takes a very special kind of dog with a specific personality to successfully work as a service dog. Lots of dogs don't make the cut, even if they make it into training they often wash out.

Waking up two boys is hard

Lucky for Einstein though he passed his temperament test with flying colors and was able to begin training. They worked with Paws4People for almost two years socializing Einstein, teaching him basic and advanced obedience, working on public access and teaching him tasks to help with Liam's PTSD. This is a lengthy process but Einstein was taught some valuable skills to help his handler. Einstein learned to ground Liam when he is having visual and auditory hallucinations as well as flashbacks. Einstein will also wake up from night terrors but one of Liam's mother's favorite tasks is "anchor". When Liam is feeling like he is about to trigger a PTSD attack, he can come have Einstein sit on his feet and anchor him so to speak. His mother loves this term because she can use it to ask Einstein to go physically sit on Liam, this term has even stopped Liam from walking into traffic during a really bad episode. LisaBeth want's to remind handlers to "remember in the end our service dogs are our lifeline, yes, and they are also family, but they sometimes can really just be a dog and that's OK. Just be consistent, correct positively when it happens (because it will happen). Don't question is this the right dog or is something I'm doing wrong because it's normal. it's normal for them to have a bad day or a bad moment just like us and it's OK. Hang in there, take a breath and don't second guess".

Car ride naps

After countless hours of training and working with Paws Training Center, Einstein was finally ready to accompany his handler when he heads out and about, they soon found their favorite place to go is Barns and Noble. LisaBeth tells me that they were one of the first service dog teams in town and that led to quite a few hurdles to overcome when it came to public access. Such as the time they were screamed at by an adult because they told him not to pet the dog and he didn't seem to want to comply. There was one instance when Liam went to the post office where they had a sign up stating only service dogs for the blind were permitted access. Liam stood his ground with Einstein and mailed his letter even while the clerk was venting at him, LisaBeth later called the mayor who in turn called the local congressman who got the sign taken down and had staff retrained as well as reprimanded. LisaBeth says she never knows what they're going to find. The team has also been required by the doctor's office to leave Einstein in the hallway with a nurse and have the exam room left open so the dog could still have a line of sight to Liam but couldn't be in the room. Which I might state is against American Disability Act, service dogs are legally allowed in exam rooms with their handler.

Liam and Einstein enjoying a cuddle session

Unfortunately, though LisaBeth tells me school has proven to be the worst for access issues, it was so bad they had to find a designated handler to attend school with Liam and Einstein. Students and staff alike just couldn't leave Einstein alone. One kid even went as far as instead of walking around the resting giant, to jump over him and of course landed smack on Einstein. LisaBeth proceeds to tell me

"After two years they still have no policies on handing a Service Dog, they still are not adequately trained and [even] admit that they and their students are not trained. We even had our trainer go and work with them. I've been beyond patient but I no longer feel patient after two years."

Despite the heartbreaking and unethical situation going on at Liam's school, the team hasn't let it put a damper on their mood. LisaBeth states "besides adding a huge amount of hair to everything [...] he has literally been a lifesaver. E enables him to go to school and play rugby [...]. He gives him the freedom to actually be a kid". So, for now, the team will keep pushing and even with all the hurdles they must overcome, Einstein is a huge blessing to the family. Einstein has even inspired LisaBeth to start her own business called Puppy Pies. It's a bakery making homemade gluten free pet treats. They are all natural with no preservatives and made with human grade ingredients. Einstein has a sensitive stomach so LisaBeth started making his treats and soon they became so popular she was able to set up a booth at the farmers market and is in the process of setting up a website.

Handsome Einstein head shot

Einstein has also inspired Liam who is starting a non-profit organization called the Chaotic Spyder Foundation. Liam's hope is to use funds from the non-profit to pull dogs from rescues that he's already picked out across the country and train them as PTSD dogs for other children in need. He has sent in the 501c3 paperwork, drafted his articles of incorporation and all his other founding docs, and as soon as the 501c3 goes through will begin fundraising for his cause. If you would like to make a donation or find out more they can be contacted at chaoticspyderfoundtaion@gmail.com.

Einstein giving some side line support while Liam plays rugby

I asked if there was one thing Liam wanted people to know, whether it was about his PTSD or life with Einstein, his response almost brought me to tears.

"I like having him, but he's kind of like a wheelchair where he lets me go places and stuff but I shouldn't be treated differently because I have a wheelchair or a service dog or whatever. I'm just a little boy who wants to be a little boy. Its kind of annoying when we bring him somewhere we have to add in like a half hour or so because of all the people who stop and ask questions or try to pet him or whatever. I already feel different with having PTSD and I know that people are curious or that he's very cute and fluffy and all, but sometimes it ...it makes it harder for me to try and feel normal because it draws attention to there something being different about me."
Einstein and Liam are another fantastic example of why service dogs are such a vital tool for those with a disability. Einstein has literally saved Liam's life, but Liam's words tell a tale that handlers are all too familiar with. Public education, or lack thereof, is making the lives of handlers all the more stressful. Please if you haven't take the time to read last week's article (it's linked below) on service dog etiquette and how to treat a service dog team if you meet one. They can help people of all ages with a multitude of disabilities. Not all heroes wear capes, some wear vests.

Last Weeks Article: Service Dog Etiquette: A Plea To The Public

Next Weeks Article: A Beginners Guide To Life With A Service Dog