Service Dog Etiquette: A Plea To The Public

The proper ways to address any service dog team you run across.

114
Shannon Scott

Dogs in stores sure do illicit a lot of attention. As a service dog handler who's seen and heard it all and has experienced this not always great attention, I write this short (maybe not so short) guide to how you should handle a service dog team if you see one in public in hopes to educate others and reduce the negative experiences for service dog handlers and the public alike.

No Talk, No Touch, No Eye Contact

Please ignore our dogs, they are here to aid in our disability and they are medical equipment. It can be a huge danger to handlers if our dog becomes distracted and fails to alert us to an oncoming medical condition (yes they can do that). They are well trained enough they can ignore your attempts, but they aren't robots either. Kissy noises, calling to, baby talk, petting, and even prolonged eye contact can be a distraction. Please note distracting a service dog is a misdemeanor in most states. If you would like to pet the dog approach the owner and politely ask if it would be alright, just keep in mind not every handler will allow you to no matter how nicely you ask, so if they say no respect it and move on. These patches are on our dogs vests for a reason.

Don't Gawk or Point

Trust me, my dog is not a unicorn. Yes I have a dog in the store and yes that is unusual but my dog is my lifeline. My dog is the equivalent of a wheelchair or oxygen tank. Some service dogs are trained to help with mental disabilities and staring could trigger the handler. I know as well as the next guy that it's extremely difficult not to stare at the beautiful and adorable dogs but we are people too and if you wouldn't stare and gawk or point at someone with any other type of medical equipment don't do it to service dog teams. We don't want any more attention drawn to ourselves than we already have.

Don't Ask For Medical History

Please don't ask about our medical history, that information is private. Please don't ask a handler their disability or why they have the service dog or even what's wrong with them. If they choose to disclose that information that is up to them but it should never be asked for.

Don't Take Pictures

Seems like a no-brainer not to take pictures of strangers in public right? Well, it happens a lot, taking pictures isn't against the law but it's certainly a big no-no. No one wants a stranger taking pictures of them. It's entirely too rude.

Registration/Certification/Identification Isn't Required

Business can ask two questions as stated by the American Disability Act (ADA). They can ask if the dog is a service dog and what tasks it preforms. The ADA does not require a dog to be certified, have any identification and the dog doesn't have to be registered. Another fun fact, a service dog doesn't have to wear a vest either. Even a naked service dog is still working and legitimate.

You Can't Judge A Team By Their Appearance

Service dogs can help mitigate all kinds of disabilities, invisible and physical. Just because a handler isn't blind or physically impaired doesn't mean their need for a service dog is any less. As for the dog, sure Labrador Retrievers, Golden Retrievers and German Shepard Dogs are the most common service dogs but any breed of dog can be used. Service dogs come in all shapes, sizes, colors and breeds! Don't judge a book by its cover.

Not All Handlers Want To Answer Questions

Some handlers love to answer questions if somebody approaches them politely and respectfully. That being said when you get stopped nearly everywhere you go it can get exhausting. Don't be offended if the handler isn't in the mood to answer questions, just don't pry or pester them. Remember handlers are average people like you. That being said both parties need to treat each other with respect, ensuring a good experience on both ends.

Encourage Education In Others

If you have kids and see a working dog in the store take a second to tell them that dog is working. Please don't allow kids to run up and distract the dog. Education is crucial, it will improve handler experiences when out in public as well as your experience. It's very key we treat each other with respect and respect includes allowing yourself to be educated.

You're Not The Only One

Try not to fall into this complex. Don't assume you're the only one who bothered the dog today therefore it was okay to do so. Don't assume you can pet the dog cause you're probably the only one who has. The truth is it happens to handlers a lot so don't reason that this is a good excuse to distract or disrespect a service dog team.

Keeping these few tips in mind will help insure you have a positive experience with service dog teams you meet. If you're ever in doubt, just ask yourself; 'would this be appropriate to do to/ask someone in a wheelchair?' or 'would this be appropriate to do to or ask someone else's kid?' If the answer to these is no, well then it would probably be best to avoid those actions!

In case you missed last weeks article, you can read it here!