The Benefits Of Taking A Me Day

Take A 'Me Day' Every Once In A While–I Guarantee It Will Help You Recharge

You need it, you deserve it, and you will be better off because of it.

38
https://unsplash.com/photos/b2qszO9C7sw

Unmotivated to work? Can't stand the thought of going to your classes and facing the day? You're used to constantly pushing forward and putting your responsibilities before your happiness. Here's why you need to take the occasional "me day" and why you shouldn't feel guilty about it.

Finding a time to have a day completely dedicated to yourself can seem like an unachievable luxury when you live a busy life and have a lot of daily responsibilities. If you're anything like me, your personal days are reserved for days you're too sick to get out of bed. But what about the days you need a breath of fresh air from your daily routine? We all have those days and we all have needs that must be met.

I usually never skip classes and always hand things in on time. The other day, the second my alarm clock rang, I felt like I physically couldn't get out of bed. I was exhausted from being overworked and mentally drained. Instead of getting up when the alarm rang and getting ready to take on the day, I decided to hit snooze. I put myself first because my body needed it. Having a day to calm down and straighten things out was what I needed and I don't regret it in the slightest.

I may have lost participation points in a couple of my classes. I may have handed in an assignment a day late. But when it comes down to it, you can't constantly keep running on empty. You can't be expected to. Everyone needs some time for themselves or time to sort through what they're dealing with.

Call out when you need to. Skip class if you know you won't be mentally there for it anyway. It isn't selfish to put yourself first and give your body what it needs. Of course, you can't have a "Me Day" every day, but you can make a conscious effort to be kinder to yourself and give your body what it needs.

Everyone's idea of a "me day" is different. Whether you want to spend the day catching up on some errands and working on self-care or would rather watch Netflix and nap, having a day to choose what you want to do and focus on yourself without the stresses of daily life is liberating. We spend all day working to make the future easier, but sometimes we forget to realize that sometimes we need to make right now easier too.