SEC Championship Preview

SEC Championship Preview

Alabama and Georgia go head to head in Atlanta for what will likely be a spot in the CFP.

25
SEC Championship Preview

It's the title game we all expected. Both Alabama and Georgia seemed to be on a collision course for the SEC title game all season long. Although the regular season still has 3 weeks to go, it's never too early to go ahead and preview this early December matchup.

Alabama has been the number one team in college football all season long and they have shown no signs as of yet to change that. In fact, it has been quite the opposite. Through 9 weeks of college football they are making a case to be one of the greatest college football teams in history. That's what happens when you give Nick Saban a real quarterback. Gone are the days of Blake Sims, Jake Coker, or even AJ McCarron. Tua Tagovailoa is a bonafide star and has already won himself the Heisman trophy. The Tide also feature a stable of running backs lead by Damien Harris and at least three NFL caliber receivers. This is a team leading the nation in scoring with a defense that is improving every week, lead by Quinnen Williams, and will always be stout under Coach Saban.

On the other side of the matchup is the Georgia Bulldogs. Starting the season as the number 3 ranked team in the country and reaching as high as number 2, Georgia's only hiccup of the season came in a forgettable afternoon in Death Valley. Sophomore quarterback Jake Fromm has been efficient albeit unspectacular for Georgia this season. The offense is comprised mainly of the power tandem of Elijah Holyfield and D'Andre Swift. While the receiving core does not possess the pure firepower of Alabama's, it certainly holds its own. Georgia currently has the number one ranked pass defense in the SEC, and like Alabama, is getting better in the front 7 on a weekly basis. I'm not sure, however, that Georgia has had to deal with a passing offense quite like what the Tide will give them just as Alabama has not faced the caliber of running backs coming their way.

Just as last year's National Championship did, this game will more than likely come down to the trenches. Jake Fromm and Tua will certainly try and make their impact on the game and I'm sure one or both of them will, but line play will be crucial. It is there that I give the edge to Alabama. Georgia is currently banged up on both lines and while they will probably be full strength by the time Mercedes Benz comes calling, I don't think they have the depth in the defensive line to consistently stop an Alabama running attack. I hope to be wrong but as it currently stands my official score prediction would be something along the lines of 31-17 Alabama.