Eating The Same Breakfast Everyday Improved My Mental Health

Eating The Same Breakfast In College Everyday Improved My Mental and Physical Health

This is about developing a routine that works for you, sticking with it, and reaping the benefits.

45

I don't need to introduce you to breakfast. We've all heard of the meal's power — it kickstarts your metabolism, and it fuels your morning. It's the first step of a healthy day.

A month ago, I started making overnight oats, a healthy, cute, Pinterest-y breakfast option. And I got hooked. I started making them every night. Now, I eat them for breakfast every single morning, and I've never felt physically better or mentally clearer.

But this isn't about oatmeal. This is about developing a routine that works for you, sticking with it, and reaping the benefits.

Every night, when preparing for the next day, I list everything that I need to get done in my planner, set my alarm, pick out the next day's outfit, and prepare my overnight oats. Then, when I wake up in the morning, I don't have to think; everything is ready for me. At 6:50 in the morning, I only have to muster up the strength to roll out of bed — everything else is automated. My breakfast is ready; I don't have to spend time making or thinking about it, and I know exactly how long it will keep me full.

Furthermore, by avoiding breakfast foods like sugary cereal or donuts, I find myself feeling less lethargic and more clearheaded throughout the day. Eating healthier, along with minimizing the mental distraction of food, makes it easier for me to focus in class and stay awake at work, and it drastically improves my mood.

This year, I've been working on developing a healthier relationship with food. In a way, eating the same thing for breakfast simply helps me to spend less time thinking about food. As a result, food is less of a distraction, and I'm able to focus on the steps of my morning routine that I find more meaningful: reading, writing, and praying. I make a cup of coffee, turn on my string lights, and enjoy a precious moment of calm before the chaos of a day in college.